How long did it take you to lateral?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How long did it take you to lateral?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:45 pm

I've started the process of looking for another position and things are going really slow. I basically haven't gotten much response from any of the places I've reached out to yet. I was wondering if this was ordinary and I should relax a little, or whether I need to go even more full force to find a new job. So I wanted to ask other people who have succeeded: How long did it take (from applying to getting the job offer) for you to lateral?

Barney Fritz

New

Re: How long did it take you to lateral?

Postby Barney Fritz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:50 pm

have you tried working with a recruiter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:00 pm

OP here. I've talked to a couple, but I'm a bit of a tough sell as I'm faaaaaaaaaaaaairly junior. The recruiters I've talked to have given me some advice on markets to look at, but I'm essentially on my own for now :/

mister logical

Bronze

Postby mister logical » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:07 pm

anything anyone posts won't be that helpful bc you haven't said what type of firm or practice area you're in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've started the process of looking for another position and things are going really slow. I basically haven't gotten much response from any of the places I've reached out to yet. I was wondering if this was ordinary and I should relax a little, or whether I need to go even more full force to find a new job. So I wanted to ask other people who have succeeded: How long did it take (from applying to getting the job offer) for you to lateral?

C/O 2016 corporate, started looking in early November, just got TWO offers today. I am East Coast non-NY, came from a T20 school, top 1/3, was working at an AmLaw 100 firm (closer to the bottom than the top). One offer was for biglaw, the other for a securities boutique in NY.

I have been on a $hitton of interviews in the past four months, and, go figure, got an offer from the first place I interviewed at in early Nov, and another place I interviewed at the week before Christmas, today. It's Feb 2.

It takes a while, especially when you are junior. I used several recruiters, my personal network, my law school network and blind-applications. If I was even remotely interested, I applied. I will say that if you are junior (I'm a second year) that trying to get a position listed as midlevel is very difficult. Despite the fact that I had a lot of prior work experience that was relevant, firms really wanted to keep me as C/O 2016 and I got a lot of rejection emails that were along the lines of "We're looking for someone who is a bit more senior." GRRRR.

Patience and perseverence, my friend. And a lot of fake doctor's appointments and sick days!!! GL!

Return to “Legal Employment�