federal jobs - USAJobs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

federal jobs - USAJobs?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:26 pm

Anyone apply for federal positions (mostly the regulatory agencies like SEC) via USAJobs? Direct applications? Any success with either? Would love to hear your experiences, and if one is better than the other.

Anonymous User

Re: federal jobs - USAJobs?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:31 am

I landed my federal job through USAjobs. I probably applied to 150 federal jobs before getting lucky... and I got really lucky: 4 years of experience out of law school and landed a GS14 spot. I worked in state government before, then small firm to large firm before getting to the feds.

Teoeo

Silver

Postby Teoeo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:32 am

I applied to jobs through USAJobs and directly. Was the runner up at one federal agency for a position through USAJobs, and ended up landing a position through a direct application. Direct application was way faster and easier, but are not as easy to find.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:06 pm

Teoeo wrote:I applied to jobs through USAJobs and directly. Was the runner up at one federal agency for a position through USAJobs, and ended up landing a position through a direct application. Direct application was way faster and easier, but are not as easy to find.

Do you mean that they're not publicized? Or just that they're more work to find because they're on each agency's site rather than on USAJobs? Or maybe you meant something else entirely.

Teoeo

Silver

Postby Teoeo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Teoeo wrote:I applied to jobs through USAJobs and directly. Was the runner up at one federal agency for a position through USAJobs, and ended up landing a position through a direct application. Direct application was way faster and easier, but are not as easy to find.

Do you mean that they're not publicized? Or just that they're more work to find because they're on each agency's site rather than on USAJobs? Or maybe you meant something else entirely.

I meant a combination of what you said. The nature of non-USAJobs postings is that they are decentralized. Some are on the websites of the agencies, some don't even have that. I found out about my current job because a friend of a friend posted about the openings on her facebook page....

Return to “Legal Employment�