AG Offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

AG Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:32 pm

I just recently started getting into public interest options, and I'm a 2L looking for a summer job. Im wondering how a stint at an AG perhaps in NY or elsewhere looks on a resume? I am in final rounds of interviews for a fed agency but I'm curious whether options like these could be "better" to apply to?

I'm not entirely sure how that falls on the spectrum of public interest

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: AG Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:07 am

It's fine. Depends on your goals, though. You almost certainly aren't getting hired at most AGs offices right out of law school. The best option is to target places you are interested in and have a realistic shot of getting hired at afterwards (ex. if you're interested in big city DA's offices --> apply to big city DA's offices that hire pre-bar).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's fine. Depends on your goals, though. You almost certainly aren't getting hired at most AGs offices right out of law school. The best option is to target places you are interested in and have a realistic shot of getting hired at afterwards (ex. if you're interested in big city DA's offices --> apply to big city DA's offices that hire pre-bar).

My midwestern state AG hires some deuputies straight out of LS if they clerked at the AG during law school

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 am

I did the NYAG's office 1L summer. There were a bunch of 2L's there, but as another poster mentioned, they don't hire out of law school. However, a lot of the AAG's were former ADAs at offices that do and I built up a network that way.

Anon because I'm pretty identifiable with my work history.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:08 am

The OAG in New York depends almost entirely on the bureau you are in. If you are in one of the civil rights or economic fraud bureaus, it can be great for your career. You can also get assigned to mental health cases or claims, which basically dead end your career. Anon for the same reason as above poster.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:16 pm

So in terms of the consumer frauds division you're saying that would be a good experience in the view of future employers?

Return to “Legal Employment�