How many hours in your slowest month?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How many hours in your slowest month?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:18 pm

January is just about over and I have a total of ~50 hours. I haven’t gotten any hints that I’m about to be fired, either. Has anyone else been THIS slow before or am I just missing the clues?

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: How many hours in your slowest month?

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:41 pm

15 when I first started.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:04 pm

Best to check with other associates in your firm--preferably those working in the same practice area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:11 pm

OP here. I work in a satellite that is very partner heavy and there is no other junior associate, so don’t really have anyone to ask.

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I work in a satellite that is very partner heavy and there is no other junior associate, so don’t really have anyone to ask.

What year are you? That's really slow. As a first year I may have had a month or two close to that but not quite that slow. I generally say it's not a big deal when people are slow but now is also a good time to lateral. You may want to consider updating your resume. Also make sure you're letting everyone know you're available and doing your best work for them. If you're a first year, it's more understandable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:32 pm

oblig.lawl.ref wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I work in a satellite that is very partner heavy and there is no other junior associate, so don’t really have anyone to ask.

What year are you? That's really slow. As a first year I may have had a month or two close to that but not quite that slow. I generally say it's not a big deal when people are slow but now is also a good time to lateral. You may want to consider updating your resume. Also make sure you're letting everyone know you're available and doing your best work for them. If you're a first year, it's more understandable.

I would apply to other jobs just to protect your own a$$.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:41 pm

OP here. I’m in my first year, but last month, I billed ~200 and was around 160 in November, so, just concerned.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Postby gaddockteeg » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:00 pm

I’ve had multiple months of sub 50 in a row. I’ll usually use that time to do pro bono or try to help someone write an article.

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I’m in my first year, but last month, I billed ~200 and was around 160 in November, so, just concerned.

In that case I wouldn't worry too much but try to make sure you get out there, get more work and do your best work. It would be hard to lateral some 3-5 months in anyways. Better to make sure you're doing everything correctly. If there's someone senior you trust at the firm, preferably a junior partner but not necessarily, check in with them and let them know your hours down, you're happy to help but also want to make sure you're doing things correctly. Just be casual about it though. And if they don't have time to help that's fine. In my experience, no one really minds a junior associate reaching out for hours and feedback but may mind overbearing attempts to do so.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:51 pm

I'm a 3rd year in a major market M&A practice - last 3 months have been in the 100-120 range for me and at least half of my class. It's not worth worrying about unless you start getting feedback that you aren't doing a good job, there are a number of possible factors around this time of year that could result in low hours and being a first year lends itself to a transition/integration period on top of however (not) busy your firm is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:20 pm

If work is slow, just spend all your time posting at lawschool life!

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:48 pm

IME January is either balls to the wall busy or dead slow. Sounds like it's the latter for you. No reason to worry unless you're getting feedback that you aren't doing a good job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:03 pm

There were one or two months near when I started where I billed close to zero, and sought out pro-bono in that time instead. It just depends on whether there's work to do for someone at your level, generally. Also takes time to get integrated in so that you joint in on something isn't as much a hassle - I'm only a second year and I can already understand not wanting to pull in a first-year at a time I didn't feel like managing/mentoring.

Return to “Legal Employment?