Second Year Lateral Associate Seeking Advice (Offer Extended) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Second Year Lateral Associate Seeking Advice (Offer Extended)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:27 am

I am a second year corporate associate at a v10 in a major market (NYC/CHI/SF/DC) who graduated from MVP, and I feel like I may be pushed out based on performance reviews. I began the lateral search about a month ago and it's moving along pretty steadily. I'd like to have something locked down before my mid-year review in 2-3 weeks.

I received an offer today from a par firm in a different major market. If I take the job, I'd have to move away from family and friends. The firm seems great, but I have four other interviews coming up at varying stages most of which are market paying biglaw positions in my current city. The non-biglaw outlier is one final round interview I have for an in-house private equity position (legal) in my current city where I'd be one of two attorneys. The in-house position is not compliance and focuses on middle market M&A. Comp is lower; 120-130.

I'd like to hold out for a position in my current city, but most of these interviews are in the first round (other than the in-house gig).

How would you guys approach this? Would you reach out to the recruiters (in the law firm/fund) at an early stage and tell them you're currently on a timeline? I am a bit worried this seems pushy, but I don't want to miss out on staying in my current city. I'd definitely be rolling the dice if I don't speed up the process and I might put myself in a position where I lose both the offer and possibly fail to secure other employment before impending doom.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Second Year Lateral Associate Seeking Advice (Offer Extended)

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:05 am

Since you want to stay in your current city, then let the in-house position know of your timeline concerns.

You are fortunate, in my opinion, to have a pending offer with a deadline prior to your review (when your reason for seeking to lateral will become obvious if you lose your current position).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:43 pm

Caveat - not at a V10, and went to a T20....I have been interviewing for lateral positions for about 2 months. I've found that firms and other places move SUPER slow. Like if you get in early, then they sometimes want to see if they get more candidates, if you're in "in the middle" of their search then it still takes a month or so.

I would not uproot yourself for a job, especially if you think you might miss your old city. If you're lateralling as a second year (I am too) you need to stay at your next firm for 2 years to not look flighty. There's SO MANY positions open right now (please check out laterally.com and see what I mean!). I am sure you will get traction soon.

I know that you are worried about letting a bird in hand go, but don't be. I am positive you will find something in your own market in the next month or so, and if you have a small gap, I also think you could probably swing a month in between. Really, there's so much right now. I am also corporate and have gotten a ton of bites. Converting the bites to offers is harder because a lot of places want midlevels, and we're more like juniors, but I am definitely gaining traction due to the time of year, and feel like you will too. You know in your gut that this is not the right job for you. Let it go.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:45 pm

OP here. By inhouse recruiter I meant to ask if I should reach out to the law firms I am in process (pre first round) with to let them know I have a pending offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:46 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Since you want to stay in your current city, then let the in-house position know of your timeline concerns.

You are fortunate, in my opinion, to have a pending offer with a deadline prior to your review (when your reason for seeking to lateral will become obvious if you lose your current position).
I feel fortunate as well, but I think my firm generally gives three months on the site so I am not on a very tight timeline.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:56 pm

Also second year looking to switch firms. I am working with recruiter but am told that market for juniors is kind of dead. Should I fire my recruiter?...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:19 pm

OP here. Not sure what market you're in. So it's possible the 2016 market is dead there, but my recruiter sucked. 3/5 interviews I received were through cold emails (which I aggressively followed with as many informational interviews as possible) and internal referrals.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a second year corporate associate at a v10 in a major market (NYC/CHI/SF/DC) who graduated from MVP, and I feel like I may be pushed out based on performance reviews. I began the lateral search about a month ago and it's moving along pretty steadily. I'd like to have something locked down before my mid-year review in 2-3 weeks.

I received an offer today from a par firm in a different major market. If I take the job, I'd have to move away from family and friends. The firm seems great, but I have four other interviews coming up at varying stages most of which are market paying biglaw positions in my current city. The non-biglaw outlier is one final round interview I have for an in-house private equity position (legal) in my current city where I'd be one of two attorneys. The in-house position is not compliance and focuses on middle market M&A. Comp is lower; 120-130.

I'd like to hold out for a position in my current city, but most of these interviews are in the first round (other than the in-house gig).

How would you guys approach this? Would you reach out to the recruiters (in the law firm/fund) at an early stage and tell them you're currently on a timeline? I am a bit worried this seems pushy, but I don't want to miss out on staying in my current city. I'd definitely be rolling the dice if I don't speed up the process and I might put myself in a position where I lose both the offer and possibly fail to secure other employment before impending doom.
Congrats on the offer! Maybe ask for a week to review and then accept and set the start date a month later so then you have 5 weeks and maybe renege and burn that bridge in the other city? I mean, if you get pushed out, you don't want to be unemployed. But Corp is hott and I think that February is arriving things will be back to hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Not sure what market you're in. So it's possible the 2016 market is dead there, but my recruiter sucked. 3/5 interviews I received were through cold emails (which I aggressively followed with as many informational interviews as possible) and internal referrals.
Market is nyc. I was hesitant to cold email but looks like it works.. thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bobbyflayed

Bronze

Post by bobbyflayed » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Not sure what market you're in. So it's possible the 2016 market is dead there, but my recruiter sucked. 3/5 interviews I received were through cold emails (which I aggressively followed with as many informational interviews as possible) and internal referrals.
Market is nyc. I was hesitant to cold email but looks like it works.. thanks
Definitely works.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also second year looking to switch firms. I am working with recruiter but am told that market for juniors is kind of dead. Should I fire my recruiter?...
it seems I get a call or email every day as a first year lit in NYC, fwiw

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also second year looking to switch firms. I am working with recruiter but am told that market for juniors is kind of dead. Should I fire my recruiter?...
it seems I get a call or email every day as a first year lit in NYC, fwiw
same for me. corp nyc 1st year

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:43 pm

OP here, how bad is it renege on an offer acceptance? It'll buy me 2-3 additional weeks and I'm in process at 5 other places now.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, how bad is it renege on an offer acceptance? It'll buy me 2-3 additional weeks and I'm in process at 5 other places now.
It is never really good and you could basically say goodbye forever to the firm you will renege, but if you are worried about being unemployed then maybe you have no choice. Ask for a week at least to review the offer that will buy you at least one week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”