Callback Interview Travel Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback Interview Travel Question

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:26 pm

Hi, I am fortunate enough to have a few callback interviews at BL firms in different states. I was wondering what the general policies were for this travel reimbursement. I am hoping to stay for a couple of days to do my interview and also see the city. Is this inappropriate? Is this possible? How would I go about scheduling this?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Callback Interview Travel Question

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, I am fortunate enough to have a few callback interviews at BL firms in different states. I was wondering what the general policies were for this travel reimbursement. I am hoping to stay for a couple of days to do my interview and also see the city. Is this inappropriate? Is this possible? How would I go about scheduling this?

Thanks!

Are you a 3L? If so, would you mind sharing your strategy in getting those CB's? Stats? I would appreciate it. Please let me know if you're more comfortable PMing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Are you a 3L? If so, would you mind sharing your strategy in getting those CB's? Stats? I would appreciate it. Please let me know if you're more comfortable PMing.

I'm actually a 1L. I have pretty top grades (high 3.8 ) and I go to a ~top 30 law school.

magnum_law

Bronze

Postby magnum_law » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:57 pm

See NALP guidelines for a comprehensive source. But generally, firms will only pay for one night at a hotel and the flight (plus meals, taxis, etc associated with the interview).

Staying a few days is fine but the firm won't pay extra hotel/expenses. Good news is that you can pick your dates for the flight so it works in that regard. Generally it is no big deal to depart after 2-3 days instead of the next day.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:11 am

Pro tip: fly in on Friday and leave Sunday night. If you have friends in the city it’s basically a free vacation.

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:56 am

and definitely don’t ask the firm to stay more than one night to “see the city.” That’s a massive red flag that you haven’t been there before and are thus a flight risk.

Stifling

New

Postby Stifling » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:06 am

firms have travel agency they'll put you in touch with and you deal with traveling issues through them. but I think most firms won't let you stay in hotel for more than 1 night at their expense , although if you're happy to chip in for a few more nights' hotel fees, they won't care what your flight schedule looks like.

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Postby NoLongerALurker » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:38 am

What everyone else is saying is right in my experience, though I'd add that when I was doing callbacks there were a couple of times I had interviews Friday and Monday in the same city and managed to have the firms pick up the hotel over the weekend. Which was great.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:05 pm

[]

Return to “Legal Employment?