Post-Clerkship Interview Beard/Stubble Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post-Clerkship Interview Beard/Stubble

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi all, I know this topic has been covered at length (re: OCI/interviews during law school) but my situation is a little different. I’ve been interviewing for post-clerkship gigs with big firms for the past 4 months or so. In each, I’ve gone in clean shaven and every time I don’t feel like myself. Thus far, no offers.

In real life, I wear a short, neatly trimmed beard. It’s not patchy and I’ve worn it this way for most of my adult life. The beard, without question, adds 5+ years of age to my face. Without it, I look young, pasty, and it really shows that I have a somewhat weak chin.

My question is whether I can drop the shaving routine for these interviews or if I should continue to shave until something sticks?

I’m a little embarrassed to even ask since the topic of beards has come up so many times, but I was unable to find a thread not centered around law students. If you know of a thread, feel free to link it. Thanks.

acr

Silver

Re: Post-Clerkship Interview Beard/Stubble

Post by acr » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:22 pm

Just be yourself, and keep the beard neatly groomed. Sometimes it's important to look older and a beard can add a nice masculine jawline as well. As long as it's not a Tormund Giantsbane beard you're OK.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:52 pm

I got my postclerkship gig and interviewed with a beard—like yours, well trimmed, not patchy, and covering for a somewhat weak jawline. I was a little nervous because it seemed like almost none of the associates or partners had beards, but it didn't seem to matter. Go with the beard.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:19 pm

I'm a student (with a beard) and I said say leave it. I shaved my for a couple interviews early on in ls, didn't feel like myself at all and did terribly in the interviews. If you always have it you're going to subconsciously feel at least somewhat uncomfortable shaving it for an interview, which is the last thing you want. Be comfortable and be yourself.

All the TLS beard talk seems really overrated to me. I had a beard when I interviewed for my firm for a 2L SA spot, all through my SA (offered), and now while clerking there 3L. It's groomed and looks professional. Literally no one has ever mentioned it to me.

Sorry accidental anon

TooMuchTuna

Silver

Post by TooMuchTuna » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:33 pm

Unless you're interviewing with the Yankees, you should be good to go with neatly trimmed facial hair.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:21 pm

As long as it looks clean, don't worry about it. I have kept a well-kept beard since before law school and had no problem getting a district court clerkship, 2/9/DC COA clerkship, and post-clerkship gig at a lit boutique.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:11 pm

OP here. I want to thank everyone for the responses. It’s very comforting to hear your anecdotes. Based on your replies I will go in rocking the beard. Cheers!

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:39 pm

A great interview can (usually) overcome a bad beard. A great beard cannot overcome a bad interview.

Do what makes you comfortable. Getting rejected for well groomed facial hair when you have clerkship credentials may be a blessing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”