Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FlyEaglesFly1701

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 am

Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby FlyEaglesFly1701 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:06 am

Hope you all are having a great evening and a fantastic spring semester. I graduated in 2014 and work for Morgan Lewis. Love the place and would be happy to field some questions if anyone's interested.

I'm rewatching the NFC Championship game, so I figured I might as well spend some time with you folks while I'm hanging out. Go Eagles!

Time's yours...

1styearlateral

Silver
Posts: 836
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby 1styearlateral » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:05 pm

Go Birds.

LSstudent

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:08 pm

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby LSstudent » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:43 pm

Assuming you are in the Philadelphia office. What practice areas are most dominant in the office? Also, is it possible to transfer from the Philly office to NY/DC 1-3 years after starting?

Go Eagles!

Anonymous User
Posts: 327420
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:08 pm

Would the firm sniff someone from a T2 top 30%? also, what is the 2l clerkship? is it like a summer associate position without a guarantee or post-grad employment?

FlyEaglesFly1701

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby FlyEaglesFly1701 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:50 pm

1styearlateral wrote:Go Birds.


Go birds!

FlyEaglesFly1701

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby FlyEaglesFly1701 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:57 pm

LSstudent wrote:Assuming you are in the Philadelphia office. What practice areas are most dominant in the office? Also, is it possible to transfer from the Philly office to NY/DC 1-3 years after starting?

Go Eagles!


We have a large CBT practice and fairly large litigation practice. In my experience, they've been the largest groups that I've worked with over the past few years. The philly office is diverse though, which makes it nice if you want to change up and seek out different areas of the law to work in. It's not uncommon for folks to collaborate throughout the building, or even throughout the firm as a whole.

Folks do transfer between offices, but there's not usually much of a drive to do so. For example, in my practice area, I work with the Washington folks on a regular basis for some matters. I've been to both the NYC and Wash offices, they've got great people, but the atmosphere in the Philly office is awesome.

FlyEaglesFly1701

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby FlyEaglesFly1701 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would the firm sniff someone from a T2 top 30%? also, what is the 2l clerkship? is it like a summer associate position without a guarantee or post-grad employment?


I was T2, but I lateralled in from a smaller firm. Depending upon your background and focus, I think you would have a chance.

I can't speak to the 2L clerkship unfortunately. Sorry about that.

synergy

New
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby synergy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:35 pm

thanks so much for doing this, i've been very interested in this firm and had a few questions:

how is the firm with regards to facetime? Is that dependent on office and/or by practice group/partner? could you speak to their benefits?

FlyEaglesFly1701

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby FlyEaglesFly1701 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:09 pm

synergy wrote:thanks so much for doing this, i've been very interested in this firm and had a few questions:

how is the firm with regards to facetime? Is that dependent on office and/or by practice group/partner? could you speak to their benefits?


I'm assuming you mean client facetime? It's partner dependent in my experience. Most of the partners I've worked with want to get you in front of the client so that you can begin to build a relationship. Partners want the clients to trust you when the partner delegates work to you. However, you have to earn that trust from the respective partners. They're not going to put you out there unless you demonstrate that you can do the work.

For me, I started out by picking up whatever I could and built a rapport with three partners in particular. As I demonstrated that I wouldn't screw things up, they gave me more control over specific matters and more facetime with the clients. I think it's something that you definitely earn. I haven't met a single partner yet that barred associates from working with the clients directly.

As to benefits, health insurance and other benefits appear standard. They do not match 401k, so you're on your own with that. However, they follow the Cravath pay scale and the bonuses are solid after your first year. If you meet your hours you're good.

As to hours, I've found that there is plenty of work to go around (at least in my practice group). No problems making hours. Furthermore, pro bono time counts 100% towards your billables. If you bill 100 hours pro bono, that all counts toward your 2000 for the year.

User avatar
smokeylarue

Silver
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby smokeylarue » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:01 pm

Lol pretty sure the poster meant facetime, as in are you expected to be in the office everyday from X am to Y pm even if don't have work/what are the office's feelings on working remotely, etc.

FlyEaglesFly1701

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby FlyEaglesFly1701 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:25 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Lol pretty sure the poster meant facetime, as in are you expected to be in the office everyday from X am to Y pm even if don't have work/what are the office's feelings on working remotely, etc.


My bad. Regarding real facetime, people work from home from time to time and all the partners that I know are cool with it.

Generally though, most folks work an 8 to 5:30 day. However, it's expected that work related emails are responded to within an hour. The motto, "always on," is taken seriously.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327420
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:33 pm

Since the FY ends in September, when do you move up in class year/salary? Do you go up in class year/salary on January 1 each year or when the fiscal year ends?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327420
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:26 am

Are you guys done hiring laterals for now? A little late to the party here on L&E positions.

FlyEaglesFly1701

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby FlyEaglesFly1701 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Since the FY ends in September, when do you move up in class year/salary? Do you go up in class year/salary on January 1 each year or when the fiscal year ends?


You move up in class year/salary as of Jan. 1.

FlyEaglesFly1701

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby FlyEaglesFly1701 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are you guys done hiring laterals for now? A little late to the party here on L&E positions.


My understanding is that it varies by practice group and need. We bring in laterals all the time.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327420
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:35 am

does the Philly office take laterals not barred in PA? (e.g. junior associate who is barred in another state and cannot waive in for a few years)

FlyEaglesFly1701

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby FlyEaglesFly1701 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:does the Philly office take laterals not barred in PA? (e.g. junior associate who is barred in another state and cannot waive in for a few years)


Yes. But you'll almost certainly be asked to sit for the PA bar.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327420
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:18 pm

FlyEaglesFly1701 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are you guys done hiring laterals for now? A little late to the party here on L&E positions.


My understanding is that it varies by practice group and need. We bring in laterals all the time.



So it seems he/she was interested in the L&E group. Any insights or thoughts about that group specifically?

FlyEaglesFly1701

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby FlyEaglesFly1701 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
FlyEaglesFly1701 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are you guys done hiring laterals for now? A little late to the party here on L&E positions.


My understanding is that it varies by practice group and need. We bring in laterals all the time.



So it seems he/she was interested in the L&E group. Any insights or thoughts about that group specifically?


Unfortunately, no. Nothing specific with regard to bringing in laterals.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327420
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:51 pm

FlyEaglesFly1701 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
FlyEaglesFly1701 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are you guys done hiring laterals for now? A little late to the party here on L&E positions.


My understanding is that it varies by practice group and need. We bring in laterals all the time.



So it seems he/she was interested in the L&E group. Any insights or thoughts about that group specifically?


Unfortunately, no. Nothing specific with regard to bringing in laterals.


Thanks for all of your help! Do you know whether people are generally happy in L&E? Is the practice a sweat shop or a more manageable group at Morgan?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327420
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:26 pm

I know our office is looking for L&E people (satellite west coast), but not sure if that holds true across all offices.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327420
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:37 pm

any idea on lateral timeline at Morgan Lewis? (in Philly office)
interested in making a move but not sure how long the process takes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327420
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any idea on lateral timeline at Morgan Lewis? (in Philly office)
interested in making a move but not sure how long the process takes.


Also interested.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327420
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:30 am

Is it possible to lateral into Lit with several years of exp, without top grades but strong Philly ties?

FlyEaglesFly1701

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 am

Re: Morgan Lewis Associate Taking Questions (Class of 2014)

Postby FlyEaglesFly1701 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any idea on lateral timeline at Morgan Lewis? (in Philly office)
interested in making a move but not sure how long the process takes.


Also interested.


For me it took somewhere between 4-5 weeks, but that was with a recruiter.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.