Another Reneging Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Another Reneging Question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:38 pm

I accepted an offer at a PI organization that I like, but it is not in the city where I want to end up. The next day I got an offer from a firm that is in the city I want to end up in. How bad a look is it to renege?

I am almost positive my career services office will tell me not to renege.

Anonymous User

Re: Another Reneging Question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted an offer at a PI organization that I like, but it is not in the city where I want to end up. The next day I got an offer from a firm that is in the city I want to end up in. How bad a look is it to renege?

Well.... in contracts...

(I’ve got nothing. For what it’s worth, I think needing funds to help pay student loan debt or tuition costs is a legitimate reason to renege provided the PI organization is not paying you. If your desire to be in x city over y has to do with cost of living, that could be a good excuse. That said, I’ve no idea what the long term effects of reneging might be)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I accepted an offer at a PI organization that I like, but it is not in the city where I want to end up. The next day I got an offer from a firm that is in the city I want to end up in. How bad a look is it to renege?

Well.... in contracts...

(I’ve got nothing. For what it’s worth, I think needing funds to help pay student loan debt or tuition costs is a legitimate reason to renege provided the PI organization is not paying you. If your desire to be in x city over y has to do with cost of living, that could be a good excuse. That said, I’ve no idea what the long term effects of reneging might be)

OP here. The PI firm pays a little, but it’s not much more than what my school would fund if it was unpaid. Additionally, the PI firm does make living and transportation logistics far more difficult than the firm.

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Postby tyrant_flycatcher » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:15 pm

Renege.

If it makes you feel better, it's only January. So the PI firm has plenty of time to find a replacement.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Postby Winter is Coming » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:16 pm

Take the job in the city where you want to be, that is a perfectly legit reason.

Return to “Legal Employment?