Switching firm offices after accepting an offer but before starting?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Switching firm offices after accepting an offer but before starting?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:00 pm

I accepted a biglaw offer last fall in a secondary market that I was and still am completely happy to take, but since then I have moved to another “more desirable” city in a foreign country and really love
my new city. My firm has a good-sized office here (that I know no one at), and it would be a dream to start in that office rather than the office summered in. How would someone go about trying to make that happen? There are no language issues and I’m willing to take whichever bar the firm asks me to take for the office I’m entering.

Mullens

Silver

Re: Switching firm offices after accepting an offer but before starting?

Postby Mullens » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted a biglaw offer last fall in a secondary market that I was and still am completely happy to take, but since then I have moved to another “more desirable” city in a foreign country and really love
my new city. My firm has a good-sized office here (that I know no one at), and it would be a dream to start in that office rather than the office summered in. How would someone go about trying to make that happen? There are no language issues and I’m willing to take whichever bar the firm asks me to take for the office I’m entering.

The foreign country part makes this tricky. I have friends who have asked to make a switch like this. Some were successful and some were not. I don’t know if it hurts to ask.

Are there us-qualified lawyers there?

How have you moved to a foreign country while still in law school? Study abroad or graduated early?

Anonymous User

Re: Switching firm offices after accepting an offer but before starting?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:28 pm

Mullens wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I accepted a biglaw offer last fall in a secondary market that I was and still am completely happy to take, but since then I have moved to another “more desirable” city in a foreign country and really love

The foreign country part makes this tricky. I have friends who have asked to make a switch like this. Some were successful and some were not. I don’t know if it hurts to ask.

Are there us-qualified lawyers there?

How have you moved to a foreign country while still in law school? Study abroad or graduated early?

There are US qualified attorneys. It’s one of the handful of foreign cities that hires us attorneys every year. It’s a weird very specific to me situation but effectively I graduated early except Im still earning a few credit hours for LR work while I’m overseas and interning.

Return to “Legal Employment?