How much will a termination from before law school hurt my chances at lateraling

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How much will a termination from before law school hurt my chances at lateraling

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:26 am

First off, this isn't another one of those "should I disclose" threads. I'm going to disclose it. The question is how do I explain it and how much will it ding me?

It was my first job out of college. I was a paralegal at a boutique firm. It's a long story, but their official records say I was terminated for performance issues. My side of it, which I would never tell a prospective employer, is that I was assigned way more work than my peers (I was billing 3x the next highest guy) and fired when I couldn't keep up with my absurdly bloated workload. I was working 50+ hours a week on $33k/y.

Since then I've had 3 other jobs, including attorney job since graduating law school. I want to believe they won't give a fuck, just as they didn't care wen I disclosed my termination to my current employer.

hugerez

New

Re: How much will a termination from before law school hurt my chances at lateraling

Postby hugerez » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:39 am

why would a legal employer care about a lateral applicant's pre-law job that far back? Image this conversation... "4 jobs ago before law school, tell me about your work and why did you stop working there? That's never gonna come up.

Anonymous User

Re: How much will a termination from before law school hurt my chances at lateraling

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:48 am

hugerez wrote:why would a legal employer care about a lateral applicant's pre-law job that far back? Image this conversation... "4 jobs ago before law school, tell me about your work and why did you stop working there? That's never gonna come up.

It will never come up in the interview. It's on the application form.

hugerez

New

Postby hugerez » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
hugerez wrote:why would a legal employer care about a lateral applicant's pre-law job that far back? Image this conversation... "4 jobs ago before law school, tell me about your work and why did you stop working there? That's never gonna come up.

it asks you to list all pre-law jobs and reason for not working there? and this is a requirement with *?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:01 am

hugerez wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

it asks you to list all pre-law jobs and reason for not working there? and this is a requirement with *?

It asks for my complete job history, whether I was ever fired from a job and why. No asterisk.

hugerez

New

Postby hugerez » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
hugerez wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It asks for my complete job history, whether I was ever fired from a job and why. No asterisk.

if it's optional and can be skipped then do so. i've never been asked that question ever and i've applied to more places than i can remember (and been offered without all that info volunteered).

albanach

Gold

Postby albanach » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
hugerez wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So answer it. You're a lawyer, surely you can answer a question like that without being misleading, but still presenting yourself in the best possible light?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:30 pm

Unfortunately, your side doesn't make sense. Why would a firm fire their most productive paralegal simply for not producing at three times the rate of the next highest producer.

In my opinion, it might be best to state that the departure was due to a personality clash.

Sometimes folks--good, hardworking, intelligent people--just don't get along.

Return to “Legal Employment�