PI internship after graduation and before biglaw starts?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

PI internship after graduation and before biglaw starts?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:00 pm

I have a seminar-only semester and my 3L year will end in late April, which means that I have a 3.5-month break before I start working in biglaw this fall. I wonder if people have worked at any PI places during the summer after graduation. Are orgs hiring simply because they need help? If yes, are there any opportunities for funding? I looked at the summer fellowships at my school and they are only available to current students.

BTW, I am of course aware that we need to take the bar exam. I don't really want to spend 3 months studying for it. Also, I guess that employers will allow me to take one or two weeks off to study when the exam gets close?

Re: PI internship after graduation and before biglaw starts?

Postby blueapple » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:49 pm

My law school graduation was during the first week of May. I don't really see how you're in any sort of unique position, to be honest. I'm sure you could find PI organizations to volunteer for, but I'm not sure about funding opportunities since it's usually hard enough for PI students to get funding for the summers, let alone after graduation, other than through their law schools.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: PI internship after graduation and before biglaw starts?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:01 pm

So, I tried to do something like this, and the organization told me that they couldn't have me work as a student for them because I'd graduated. I don't know how widespread this is, because there are definitely places that have people work pending bar results at least, but thought I'd throw it out there as something you might run into.

Return to “Legal Employment”