Looking for general information on Ropes and Gray

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
xn3345

New

Looking for general information on Ropes and Gray

Postby xn3345 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:42 pm

I haven't seen it discussed that much here. I'd love to hear from anyone with a perspective on the firm. I'm only aware of what's written on Vault and Chambers. Specifically the Boston office. Also interested in anything about their litigation and white collar practices

Anonymous User

Re: Looking for general information on Ropes and Gray

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:04 pm

I worked at R&G Boston on the corporate side. Left a few years ago so I can’t give you the latest news, but I can try to tackle some of the questions you may have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I worked at R&G Boston on the corporate side. Left a few years ago so I can’t give you the latest news, but I can try to tackle some of the questions you may have.

On their website, they imply that they hire fedclerks out of clerkships just by emailing them, even with no posted openings.

Have you ever heard of this occurring?

xn3345

New

Postby xn3345 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I worked at R&G Boston on the corporate side. Left a few years ago so I can’t give you the latest news, but I can try to tackle some of the questions you may have.

Thanks!

1) They seem to be known as "humane big law." Is there truth to that?
2) What's the atmosphere around the office like?
3) Is partnership realistic? What kind of hours are expected for an associate pursuing that?
4) What are typical exit options? What are the best exit options?
5) What did you like and not like about working there?

Sorry about accidental anon! I'm OP

Bronze

Postby 2013 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:02 am

Not the poster above, but can answer some of the questions. Didn’t work there, but have a few friends who worked/are working there.

1) they are only “humane” compared to NY V20 Biglaw. Compared to the other big firms in Boston, they have “normal” Biglaw hours. Many of my friends who worked there still more or less vanished off the face of the earth for their first two years there.

2) it’s a very “bro” firm. Can’t add more to that.

3) partnership is pretty unrealistic. I think they make like 10 partners firmwide every year (including their international offices). 8 attorneys in the US made partner this year (and they aren’t all from the same graduating class). Not sure if all are homegrown, but you can probably do a quick LinkedIn search if you’re interested. I think their summer class size pre-recession was like 150-200 firmwide. Don’t work there, and my friends are still pretty junior, so can’t tell you what sort of hours are expected for partnership.

Can’t answer 4 and 5 as I haven’t worked there and my friends aren’t at the lateral stage yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:29 am

Had a few friends from law school start there, as usually most left after a few years. One started off doing private equity since that's what they're known for in corporate and basically wanted to die within a year it was so miserable. He switched to a more "humane" group and it was better for the most part, though he was still scrambling for exit options and bolted as soon as he found a good one in-house in finance. My impression was that the culture wasn't toxic or anything beyond being a standard biglaw sweatshop (the private equity senior associates seemed polite when they ruined his weekend), but they do call it "Ropes & Chains" for a reason. Don't know much about the litigation hours or experience, but on the corporate side I heard PE, debt finance and securities/capital markets were the worst, real estate and fund formation were a bit better. All second hand though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:On their website, they imply that they hire fedclerks out of clerkships just by emailing them, even with no posted openings.

Have you ever heard of this occurring?

I don't know enough about their clerkship process to answer this. But I don't think it hurts just to email them and ask.

Anonymous User wrote:1) They seem to be known as "humane big law." Is there truth to that?
2) What's the atmosphere around the office like?
3) Is partnership realistic? What kind of hours are expected for an associate pursuing that?
4) What are typical exit options? What are the best exit options?
5) What did you like and not like about working there?

1. As another poster said, it's humane compared to NYC biglaw, but it's still biglaw. The partners are nice though and apologetic about ruined plans and long nights, so it softens the blow a little.
2. I don't think the culture is bro-ish as the other poster said. It's a fairly quiet atmosphere - people are there to work. People are friendly, but there actually isn't a ton of socialization outside of small circles of friends. A lot of people leave at 5-6 pm to have dinner with the family, and do more work in the evening.
3. Partnership is slim, but no more slim than at other firms. Hours aren't critical in determining partnership, as long as you are clearly not just trying to meet the minimum. They are more concerned with your leadership skills, business development ability, client relationships, and legal skills.
4. Typical depends on which practice group you are in, but it's mostly to boutique firms, in-house to various PE shops and companies on the corporate side, and the Boston USAO on litigation side. Best exit is subjective, but Bain and the other Boston PE shops and the pharma companies can net you a lot of compensation.
5. I really liked that the partners were concerned about my professional development and not just using me to churn billable hours. The biggest downside (not experienced by me personally, but others have) is that if you join a large group like PE or general lit, you can get lost in the shuffle easily and get pushed out pretty fast. You have to either create a strong relationship with a partner early, or go into a smaller practice group where it's easier to get face time with all the partners.

Return to “Legal Employment?