Working with multiple recruiters?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working with multiple recruiters?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:26 pm

I am working with a recruiter who seems to be working hard for me but only offering me small to midsize firms, or staff attorney biglaw positions in Los Angeles market. I want to start working with others to increase my chances of lateraling sooner to better firms. Are there any rules to using recruiters? I made sure my resume is not sent out without my express consent. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: Working with multiple recruiters?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:19 pm

I recently lateraled. At one point in the cycle I was talking to/"using" three recruiters. I don't think you should have any hesitation reaching out to a second or third recruiter, ESPECIALLY if the one you are working with is not bringing you the types of jobs you are interested in. Remember, these people are looking out for THEMSELVES. They want you to make a move, ANY move, so they get paid.

That being said, I think there is a risk to using multiple recruiters, and that is that it creates competition between them. You'll eventually have to tell them that you're working with more than one recruiter so that they do not both submit you at the same firm. Once they learn this it creates an incentive for each of them to submit your resume to a firm before the other does, so that they get the commission from the firm if you ultimately go there. I think this increases the odds that the recruiter does something like blast your resume out (even if they've told you they won't).

On the other hand, if you only use one recruiter, you're trusting that they have access to all the opportunities out there/ones that fit what you're looking for. I think it's definitely wise to reach out to a few recruiters at the start of your job search and see what types of opportunities they come back with. Once you get a broad look at what's out there, you can decide on which recruiter to work with and hopefully trust that person to handle your resume.

Return to “Legal Employment�