Bar app and college sanctions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bar app and college sanctions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi everyone,

Posting this here b/c student forum and bar exam forum don't allow anon posts.

In college, I got a "warning" (as in I was cited by university safety, but no punishment was taken against me) for sneaking a non-student friend into the student gym (usually costs $5).

On my law school apps, it only said ''have you ever been subject to any sanction, dismissed, or punished by any institution'' and I put ''No.'' Does 'subject to' here mean a warning?

The bar application asks if I was ever sanctioned, or warned, so I put Yes.

My question is: is this an issue? Was my ''No'' on my law school apps justified? Or does it look like I lied? I ask because I honestly thought a warning did not qualify as a 'sanction', even though it was written and placed on my student file. But now that I am filling out my bar app, I realize it may be an issue.

Re: Bar app and college sanctions

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:11 pm

answer honestly and it won't be an issue. if they ask, just present the evidence like you presented here and you'll be fine.

Re: Bar app and college sanctions

Postby Effingham » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:15 pm

You’ll be fine, but in a lot of states you’ll probably get stuck with a brief meeting/hearing. They hate discrepancies between the bar app and your law school app even if the discrepancies are justified by the language. They also seem to hate it when people justify the discrepancy by referencing the language, which seemed odd to me. In short, don’t stress over this, even if you do get called in for the meeting.

Return to “Legal Employment”