How easy to lateral/switch jobs before first year? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How easy to lateral/switch jobs before first year?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:05 pm

Hello. So I graduated T6, but ended up not landing a law firm position due to immigration reasons (the firm I summered for rescinded my offer once they found out they had to sponsor me). After a LOT of hustling all of 3L year, I managed to land a in-house contract position with a big hedge fund. However, I was recently informed by my GC that due to internal politics, they would not be able to hire me full time beyond my contract term. So I am now in the position of having to find a new job again. At this juncture of having to find a new job, I was wondering if I could possibly eye Big Law again. I've been working at the hedge fund for about 4 months now, and the immigration issue I had is now much more easier to overcome (my boyfriend and I have been talking about marriage). Given these changes of circumstance (and also just in general regardless of visa issues), does any one know how easy it is to lateral/switch jobs before the end of your first year? Thanks in advance.

mister logical

Bronze

Re: How easy to lateral/switch jobs before first year?

Post by mister logical » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:15 pm

Saw your post on reddit, sorry all of that happened.

What I would say is that once your immigration things are sorted out you'd definitely be eligible for big law because:

1. You graduated from a T6

2. You already had a big law offer (or I'm assuming you did?), and you can say in your cover letter that an offer was extended but rescinded for sponsorship reasons (which is understandable and nothing about you personally. Then on your resume put "offer extended" next to the summer firm.

What were you grades like? that plays a big factor too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:29 pm

OP here.

First off, thank you for your kind words. I summered at a really large mid-size firm (around 100 attorneys) where I felt more of a connection with compared to my other offer and where they knew about my visa status (e.g., spoke about it during interview, submitted immigration documents first day of work). The sudden change of tone came completely out of the blue, and I kinda regret taking the position, but oh well, it's in the past and I'm trying to look forward.

I did median, maybe a little lower at school (I think around 3.2?). I know it's not the best, but I was really preoccupied about graduating jobless. I've found that employers were able to look pass my grades in the past (I've landed multiple screeners and callbacks during 3L), but immigration has always been my crutch. Now that it seems that this hurdle may likely soon be a non-issue, I'm trying to get a feel of the market as a <1 year. If the market is not that good, my partner and I are considering holding off on marriage and returning to our home country. But if there's a good enough shot, we're thinking of getting married earlier than planned and trying to see if I can land something here.

mister logical

Bronze

Post by mister logical » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:32 pm

I'm not going to advocate getting married in order to solve the problem because marriage is obviously very serious, but *if* you do get married and the issues is solved, I imagine you'll have a very good shot at lateraling or just getting the job you want being that you've had all the callbacks and the like. In the meantime I would be out there networking and building your skills etc. If you leave the country and work somewhere else it may be more difficult to get back into the working world here if that's your ultimate goal.

hugerez

New

Post by hugerez » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:37 pm

mister logical wrote:Saw your post on reddit, sorry all of that happened.

What I would say is that once your immigration things are sorted out you'd definitely be eligible for big law because:

1. You graduated from a T6

2. You already had a big law offer (or I'm assuming you did?), and you can say in your cover letter that an offer was extended but rescinded for sponsorship reasons (which is understandable and nothing about you personally. Then on your resume put "offer extended" next to the summer firm.

What were you grades like? that plays a big factor too.
Do ppl do this on their resume? "I did not work here but I did get an offer."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:39 pm

For SA jobs where you did work there for a summer but didn’t go back full time. Not for random offers you turned down without working there.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:41 pm

Just FYI - I'm pretty sure immigration takes months/sometimes longer to process visa/green card apps. It's not like you get married and can instantly stay in the country.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Op, I was in a similar situation as you. I can say that marriage is definitely very serious and important, and probably the biggest decision you will ever make in life, so I encourage you to tread thoughtfully.

That is not to say your career isnt important. You worked hard to get a T6 degree and you should be rewarded with a fulfilling career. However, I do encourage you to really see if marriage is something you want with your partner independently first. If yes, everything else will fall into its place. With your credentials biglaw job is more than possible, even if not immediately. And there are many opportunities to get in. But it's still just a job.

PS: "adjusting status" to green card generally takes 6 months from date of filing the application. (Ive been hearing from friends tho that it is taking a lot longer now under Trump. A friend hasnt gotten her interview date since applying last summer) Preparing your papers takes a while but it is certainly something a person with English proficiency can do alone.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:55 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Just FYI - I'm pretty sure immigration takes months/sometimes longer to process visa/green card apps. It's not like you get married and can instantly stay in the country.
You actually should be able to get temporary approval to stay here while your application is processed, once married. My husband got temporary work approval, too (not positive if that had anything to do with his status before we got married, but I don’t think so).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stifling

New

Post by Stifling » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:05 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Just FYI - I'm pretty sure immigration takes months/sometimes longer to process visa/green card apps. It's not like you get married and can instantly stay in the country.
Actually, that is exactly what you can do. You file for asjustment of status as soon asyou get married, and uscis issues a temporary visa for the married spouse. With temporay status, not only can you stay in the country, but you can also work.

OP, as for your question, I’ve seen some associates who worked in house straight out of law school (at IBs) for a year or two before moving to biglaw/midlaw. So I think it can be done, but you’d have to hustle hard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:23 pm

OP here. Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. My partner and I have discussed getting married independently of my job search, so it would not be like I'm getting married just to get work authorization. That being said, it does pull up our timeline way sooner than we had planned. Which is why I asked my original question trying to get a sense of the 0 year lateral job market. Essentially, is it worth it to pull up our timeline and try to find a more lucrative job here (short term, poor-ish, long term, potential huge return) or just return to our home country and job search there (not as lucrative, but will get married when we feel like we are more ready stability-wise)?

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:30 pm

Interesting, I stand corrected about the visa issue, TIL.

As to your question OP, the 0 year lateral market for large firms is basically non-existent. Whatever few positions there are, they may not even be advertised. You'll have to hustle hard (talk with recruiters, check all the job sites daily). Definitely not impossible, but do not count on it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:44 pm

I have a friend who was in a similar circumstance. Graduated from a T10 and went in house for less than a year before trying for big law again. Took awhile but was able to land a well paying big law staff attorney gig and is now trying to work up to an associate position. As you probably know, the market for folks with less than a year of experience is very very small but I do think with your school and grades you can do it, good luck!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:55 am

General question, but is the 0 year market vastly different from the 1 year market? I kind of view an applicant's allure as a scale or gradient when it comes to years at a position. Am I wrong and is it clear-cut 1 year at a firm = 1 year at a firm, or if it is a scale, at how many months does 0 year become, "Eh, close enough to 1 year"?

paperrev

New

Post by paperrev » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:34 pm

I'm curious to know the answer to this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”