Asking for SA offer extension appropriate?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Asking for SA offer extension appropriate?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:59 pm

When the partner called to offer me the position he said that he need a decision from me by Friday 1/26 and even gave me a 5:00 deadline. He only gave me one week to decide and I have other callbacks scheduled but haven't actually interviewed there yet but I haven't even gotten to explore a single firm besides this one and I don't know if I should just jump at the first offer I get.

Is asking for an extension in poor taste? I looked at older topics on this and it seems like people are divided so I'm not sure what to do. Is there a chance they'll revoke the offer if I ask?

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Re: Asking for SA offer extension appropriate?

Postby PorscheFanatic » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:19 pm

I'm pretty sure they have to keep the offer open for 30 days, per NALP rules, no?

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Postby IExistedOnceBefore » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:39 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:I'm pretty sure they have to keep the offer open for 30 days, per NALP rules, no?

Only if they're a NALP firm. OP are they a NALP firm?

trmckenz

Bronze

Postby trmckenz » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:46 pm

For 1Ls, NALP guidelines say that offers must remain open for 14 days. For 2Ls, it is a little more lenient because of OCIs.

https://www.nalp.org/fulltextofnalpprin ... dstandards

kyle1978

New

Postby kyle1978 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:46 pm

Firms don't *have* to do anything, despite what NALP recommends. I say accept the offer and keep searching if you want to. If you feel that is unethical, then decline the offer and keep searching. I wouldn't request a time extension unless you don't mind risking the offer being withdrawn

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:42 pm

IExistedOnceBefore wrote:
PorscheFanatic wrote:I'm pretty sure they have to keep the offer open for 30 days, per NALP rules, no?

Only if they're a NALP firm. OP are they a NALP firm?

They are not a NALP firm

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:45 pm

kyle1978 wrote:Firms don't *have* to do anything, despite what NALP recommends. I say accept the offer and keep searching if you want to. If you feel that is unethical, then decline the offer and keep searching. I wouldn't request a time extension unless you don't mind risking the offer being withdrawn

This. If the firm pays market or close to it then I suggest you accept. Maybe even if the firm pays you at all and you actually do want to work there it would be a good idea to accept. 1L SAs are rare and I would rather have one in the hand.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:15 pm

Do you have any personal reason that you could use to ask for an extension? Seems like the best bet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:25 pm

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:Do you have any personal reason that you could use to ask for an extension? Seems like the best bet.

He wanted an answer on the phone and I said that I needed to talk to my family. Other than that, no specific personal circumstance.

Return to “Legal Employment�