Blackstone - VP Legal Compensation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Blackstone - VP Legal Compensation

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:23 pm

A number of associates have left my current firm to take VP of legal + compliance jobs at Blackstone.

Anyone know what the compensation packages are like for this role?

Anonymous User

Re: Blackstone - VP Legal Compensation

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:39 am

Any ball park ranges on this or on PE in house generally?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:33 pm

You're talking about people that are ~4th years, right? I don't know about Blackstone specifically, but am familiar with the comp for similar PE shops. Assuming the VP title is for people with about 3-5 years of experience, the base salary at these shops is about $200k. I'm not sure about bonuses - it wouldn't make sense to me that the lawyers' bonuses are tied to performance at these shops like the bankers' bonuses are - so maybe they are relatively similar to biglaw. If you make MD obviously you can eventually get carry. Good luck with that. A lot of the PE shops let their employees come in as LPs to their funds as well. These lawyers work much longer hours than your typical in-house lawyer. Better than biglaw, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:38 pm

I've also been curious about this. The VPs of Legal at one of the funds that my firm works with seem to work very humane hours by big law standards (8 or 9 to 6 or 8) with no weekends and limited to no fire drills. They kick stuff to outside counsel as much as possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've also been curious about this. The VPs of Legal at one of the funds that my firm works with seem to work very humane hours by big law standards (8 or 9 to 6 or 8) with no weekends and limited to no fire drills. They kick stuff to outside counsel as much as possible.
The hours are definitely better than biglaw. Coming from an investment management context, though, I know that when major fundraisings are kicking off, the in-house lawyers are working just as hard as us to get the paperwork out. A LOT less for them to do between fund launches and closings, though. Super boring work too (again, this is from the IM context). Not sure if there are, separately, in-house lawyers with M&A backgrounds who are covering the portco deals? Perhaps at megafunds like Blackstone. Would think that's actually less work than the in-house IM guys since I assume the deals are all handled by outside counsel.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:07 pm

2L here considering going into the funds group of a major firm in the area.

For in-house lawyers, is there any consensus as to lifestyle (hours) at megafunds like Blackstone/KKR versus smaller funds? Is it possible to have a decent lifestyle at any of these places? Obviously it's not a cakewalk but I'm hoping to eventually exit into something that won't cause my future family to hate me for having to work around the clock

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:40 pm

Does anybody have any insights into blackstone’s comp and hours? I have an interview lined up, would appreciate any insights.

barnabyboom7

New

Post by barnabyboom7 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:40 pm
Does anybody have any insights into blackstone’s comp and hours? I have an interview lined up, would appreciate any insights.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”