Starting to freak out about lateral offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Starting to freak out about lateral offer

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:08 pm

I recently (through a recruiter) received a lateral offer to a smallish firm in a city I love and have always wanted to eventually move back to. I had two interviews, and the offer came like two weeks later. My understanding was that the only thing left in the process was a conflict check. But I havnt been contacted by the firm about dame since hearing about the offer over a month ago. And I havnt received anything in writing or actually had anyone from the firm contact me--my knowledge comes through the recruiter who keeps telling me that someone from the firm will contact me soon. I mean does this stuff usually take this long? This seems really drawn out, and my understanding was that the firm needed someone in relatively short order. Cause for concern?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: Starting to freak out about lateral offer

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:15 pm

Can you clarify whether you submitted your forms and information for the conflict check?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:27 pm

Have not submitted forms for conflict check. Have not been given those forms yet.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I recently (through a recruiter) received a lateral offer to a smallish firm in a city I love and have always wanted to eventually move back to. I had two interviews, and the offer came like two weeks later. My understanding was that the only thing left in the process was a conflict check. But I havnt been contacted by the firm about dame since hearing about the offer over a month ago. And I havnt received anything in writing or actually had anyone from the firm contact me--my knowledge comes through the recruiter who keeps telling me that someone from the firm will contact me soon. I mean does this stuff usually take this long? This seems really drawn out, and my understanding was that the firm needed someone in relatively short order. Cause for concern?
This isn't normal. I would reach out to attorney recruiting directly to follow up. Your recruiter is useless and will get paid if you get a job, and doesn't seem to care if this has fallen through. You should get an offer letter that has language to the effect of "pending conflicts, we wish to extend you an offer to join the XYZ group of ABC firm in our DEF office." There's no reason this letter couldn't have been drawn up weeks ago. Follow up!!!

And tell your recruiter to do better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:02 pm

This is OP. There is a bad typo in my post: I heard about the offer about a week and a half ago, the Friday before last to be exact. Thanks for the input. I'm considering following up with the attorney directly soon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hopefullitassociate

New

Post by Hopefullitassociate » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:14 am

I would definitely reach out to your recruiter, but if it gives you any reassurance, it was over two weeks between the call that I got an offer and my official offer letter. I didn't work with a recruiter, though, so I got word directly from the firm. I would definitely still reach out to your recruiter though.

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:11 pm

how was this resolved, OP?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”