how to screen recruiters? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

how to screen recruiters?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:20 pm

Hello I am a junior associate looking to use a recruiter to make a switch. I generally have not had a good experience working with recruiters. Most of them treat it like in-between jobs and aren't afraid to burn bridges with applicants. But I am guessing that their interests are aligned with applicants in that they want to get the besthighest paying firm for the applicant to maximize their commission. Is this assumption true? And what are some signs/red flags to look out for?

lolwat

Silver

Re: how to screen recruiters?

Post by lolwat » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:42 pm

Avoid ones that are just going to spam your resume to every opening without your permission. Those are just fucking horrible.

The few times I've connected with recruiters that I thought were good, they took the time to talk on the phone regarding what I was looking for, and then basically introduced firms and positions that matched my interests and asked if I wanted the recruiter to contact the firm.

People here can probably offer you some recommendations if you post where you are looking. I know there are recommendations for the SoCal area in the LA market associates taking questions thread, for example.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:47 pm

lolwat wrote:Avoid ones that are just going to spam your resume to every opening without your permission. Those are just fucking horrible.

The few times I've connected with recruiters that I thought were good, they took the time to talk on the phone regarding what I was looking for, and then basically introduced firms and positions that matched my interests and asked if I wanted the recruiter to contact the firm.

People here can probably offer you some recommendations if you post where you are looking. I know there are recommendations for the SoCal area in the LA market associates taking questions thread, for example.
i really appreciate the info. thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Ask to look at anything they send out to firms by way of an application, at least initially. I, and several of my friends, have had the experience where cover letters/cover emails go out full of spelling errors and just clumsy phrasing. I'm not looking for Obama-quality speeches, but I draw the line at a recruiter putting in a cover letter that would have gone out that "their candidate is interested in relocating to silocone valley".

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:20 pm

Do an initial call with them and feel them out. You will quickly get a sense of which are scrubs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:52 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Do an initial call with them and feel them out. You will quickly get a sense of which are scrubs.
This.

Don’t provide them with your resume until after you’ve done this screening call.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:57 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Do an initial call with them and feel them out. You will quickly get a sense of which are scrubs.
This.

Don’t provide them with your resume until after you’ve done this screening call.
OP here,

yeah I just fucked up. I gave them my resume, but at least their practice is to not send out anything until I gave express consent. after speaking to the guy, who just started his recruiting job, he sounded like an enthusiastic guy who would be eager to help. I sent him my resume. His boss followed up with me and started recommending really shitty firms that is at best marginally a step up from my current firm.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
This.

OP here,

yeah I just fucked up. I gave them my resume, but at least their practice is to not send out anything until I gave express consent. after speaking to the guy, who just started his recruiting job, he sounded like an enthusiastic guy who would be eager to help. I sent him my resume. His boss followed up with me and started recommending really shitty firms that is at best marginally a step up from my current firm.
I mean it's not the end of the world that you gave them your resume. Just in the future screen the recruiter first. And there is no shame in working with a zillion recruiters, just make sure they aren't sending your resume to the same firms--that looks bad for everyone involved.

So if you don't like these guys, you can just ghost them and wait til a better recruiter comes along.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hello I am a junior associate looking to use a recruiter to make a switch. I generally have not had a good experience working with recruiters. Most of them treat it like in-between jobs and aren't afraid to burn bridges with applicants. But I am guessing that their interests are aligned with applicants in that they want to get the besthighest paying firm for the applicant to maximize their commission. Is this assumption true? And what are some signs/red flags to look out for?
Given that it's only really biglaw that is willing to pay recruiter commissions, I don't think they really care about pay. For them the difference between a firm that's market and slightly under market isn't that material- they'd rather you accept any offer so they can bank their commission and move on.

Realtors are the same way- it's rarely worth their additional time to get you the absolute highest possible offer.

Don't feel like recruiters are the only way to move forward. They are a tool, but hardly the only (and in my opinion not the best) way to lateral.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”