Morgan Lewis: Ok place to work? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Re: Morgan Lewis: Ok place to work?

Post by eastcoast_iub » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:11 pm

You would love Kirkland then, where some people it seems work 4-5 days a week from home.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this: do they pay first years stub year bonuses? Considering an offer to join the NY office but some discussions in ITT make me a bit worried :|
sorry to take over- but wondering: did you get your offer recently? just had a CB this week and getting nervous

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:10 pm

Unfortunately for those of you waiting to hear at this point, you may be stuck in a holding pattern for a bit. Most offices have probably given out offers by now, so you are probably at the whim of waiting for people to either reject an offer, or for their 28-day NALP period to expire.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know nothing about their culture or practice group strengths, but unless every other aspect of the firm is shit, I feel like I'd go there just for the 2-days work-from-home allowances per week.
Do you know if juniors have this option?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know nothing about their culture or practice group strengths, but unless every other aspect of the firm is shit, I feel like I'd go there just for the 2-days work-from-home allowances per week.
No, you have to be with the firm for at least 2 years (so at least a 3rd year associate).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No, you have to be with the firm for at least 2 years (so at least a 3rd year associate).
Thank you! Can you (or anyone else seeing this) comment on their M&A practice in NY, in terms of the quality of work, client contact, exit ops, etc? Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Unfortunately for those of you waiting to hear at this point, you may be stuck in a holding pattern for a bit. Most offices have probably given out offers by now, so you are probably at the whim of waiting for people to either reject an offer, or for their 28-day NALP period to expire.
I had my callback 2 days ago, so I don't think that's necessarily true. But that's why I was wondering if you (if you're OP) had JUST recieved your offer recently or not

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Unfortunately for those of you waiting to hear at this point, you may be stuck in a holding pattern for a bit. Most offices have probably given out offers by now, so you are probably at the whim of waiting for people to either reject an offer, or for their 28-day NALP period to expire.
I had my callback 2 days ago, so I don't think that's necessarily true. But that's why I was wondering if you (if you're OP) had JUST recieved your offer recently or not
It's certainly possible. I'm an associate at a non-NY office, and I know we have offers out, and won't make any additional offers unless someone rejects or their 28-day clock expires.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A friend at my firm now worked there: notoriously cheap and have the habit of screwing associates on their bonuses based on vague, discretionary rules. NY office; transactional. More than a few lost their chance at a bonus at some weird retroactive rule that came in just before year end and assured they couldn’t meet it.
Have definitely heard about them being cheap and having a shitty culture as well. People I know who's accepted their MLB offer couldn't give a concrete reason why other than something along the lines of "I want to do biglaw and didn't have better options."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A friend at my firm now worked there: notoriously cheap and have the habit of screwing associates on their bonuses based on vague, discretionary rules. NY office; transactional. More than a few lost their chance at a bonus at some weird retroactive rule that came in just before year end and assured they couldn’t meet it.
Have definitely heard about them being cheap and having a shitty culture as well. People I know who's accepted their MLB offer couldn't give a concrete reason why other than something along the lines of "I want to do biglaw and didn't have better options."
can you elaborate on the shitty culture?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Could you be a bit more precise on what makes MLB uniquely cheap? Is it a low Seamless budget??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:46 am

Be careful at least with the Philadelphia office. Very brutal and one size fits all culture. If you are a white male who loves sports you will do great. If you are literally anything else I would avoid it. Many racist remarks and jokes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Could you be a bit more precise on what makes MLB uniquely cheap? Is it a low Seamless budget??
They will charge you small fees for everything, in addition to the low food and lunch budgets. They also make up excuses to not pay out bonuses from what I hear from colleagues.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paradiselost9

New

Post by paradiselost9 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Be careful at least with the Philadelphia office. Very brutal and one size fits all culture. If you are a white male who loves sports you will do great. If you are literally anything else I would avoid it. Many racist remarks and jokes.
this is actually quite helpful. i've never enjoyed homogeneous crowds of white male sports fans as colleagues. it's bad for my psyche

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”