Morgan Lewis: Ok place to work? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Morgan Lewis: Ok place to work?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:06 pm

Interested in learning more about this firm and whether it's a fine place to work. After seeing the discussion on Paul Hastings (found here: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=276620) I just wanted to gain some insight into Morgan Lewis and whether it is the type of place a young associate would want to practice.

Anonymous User

Re: Morgan Lewis: Ok place to work?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:02 am

Going to have to be more specific; will depend heavily on group / office. I work there and really like my group and office. But its definitely not gods gift to big law. Still a lot of work, demanding standards, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Going to have to be more specific; will depend heavily on group / office. I work there and really like my group and office. But its definitely not gods gift to big law. Still a lot of work, demanding standards, etc.
Thanks for the response--most interested in the labor and employment group and any insight you might have about offices in the northeast.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Going to have to be more specific; will depend heavily on group / office. I work there and really like my group and office. But its definitely not gods gift to big law. Still a lot of work, demanding standards, etc.
Also are they known for stealth layoffs or anything of the sort?

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Also are they known for stealth layoffs or anything of the sort?
I think it would be tough to find any firm in the Amlaw 100 that has never done stealth layoffs. It's not just law firms- most organizations under financial stress will place a much higher bar at performance review time than highly profitable ones.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:25 pm

Do you know how salary/bonus/seniority progression work in the Philly office?

More specifically, at what point, if any, does salary fall off from the Cravath scale (and how aggressively) and is seniority done purely by class year or is there some element of the firm telling you during your review or otherwise that you have been cleared to go up a year?

At a lockstep firm now considering a move to Philly at some point in the near future and am trying to gauge whether there is a pay cut hidden in the fine print at the market paying firms in the city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:05 pm

No pay cut at MLB Philly. Cravath scale through 7th year (salary and bonus) and then your income is discretionary from years 7+ basically until you make partner, counsel, or leave.

And cravath scale in Philly....damn. I went to law school there, and sometimes I think about the size of the home in Villanova I'd be able to buy if I moved to that office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:07 pm

Same anon from immediately above.

I don't know of any firms that have some "discretionary" component to bump you up a class year?
Pretty sure some firms will give you a discretionary bonus above market, but not pay you the salary/bonus of a 5th year just because you're a really good 4th year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:29 pm

The firm stealth no offers via cold offers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:33 pm

A friend at my firm now worked there: notoriously cheap and have the habit of screwing associates on their bonuses based on vague, discretionary rules. NY office; transactional. More than a few lost their chance at a bonus at some weird retroactive rule that came in just before year end and assured they couldn’t meet it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A friend at my firm now worked there: notoriously cheap and have the habit of screwing associates on their bonuses based on vague, discretionary rules. NY office; transactional. More than a few lost their chance at a bonus at some weird retroactive rule that came in just before year end and assured they couldn’t meet it.

Can you elaborate on this? What was the weird rule? And what other types of discretionary rules do they use to prevent associates from receiving bonuses?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A friend at my firm now worked there: notoriously cheap and have the habit of screwing associates on their bonuses based on vague, discretionary rules. NY office; transactional. More than a few lost their chance at a bonus at some weird retroactive rule that came in just before year end and assured they couldn’t meet it.

Can you elaborate on this? What was the weird rule? And what other types of discretionary rules do they use to prevent associates from receiving bonuses?
I haven't been at the firm long, but from people I've talked to, it seems they've gone away from this practice (in 2015 I know people got stiffed on bonuses). This year, you got a market bonus if you hit your hours target and pro bono requirement (20 hours). They take the pro bono really seriously, it counts as billable with no cap, but you have to do 20 hours to get a bonus. The ATL post on bonuses was inaccurate, additional soft factors this year, from my understanding, allowed the best associates to get a discretionary additional bonus, above the market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It actually related to the post below re: pro bono. It was enacted late and applied retroactively. This was over s year ago, I believe and I guess it has been corrected since.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:27 am

Known for being cheap and stingy. Very frat boy atmosphere. Many women and POC complain about being excluded.

It's not a good place to work.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:46 am

Anecdotal, from friends working at ML. Thumbs up!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm at ML in another office, but know a lot of the Philadelphia folks.

Comp: Cravath through 8th year (used to be 7th year, but went up to 8th years on the most recent move to $190k). However, they also stiffed some underperforming first years on getting the raise to $190k, it's unclear when they'll ever be caught up, so yes, they are VERY cheap.

Pro bono counts unlimited. The people in Philly are all very nice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:A friend at my firm now worked there: notoriously cheap .....
Please define cheap...a 4th year receiving 21,250 a MONTH (not counting bonus) seems like a pretty good deal to me!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:31 am

They ostensibly pay the same as others but use every excuse to not pay bonuses or give raises. Many associates have not received bonuses for vague reasons. Has never happened to me but too many others I trust have reported it for it to be false.

dixiecup

New

Post by dixiecup » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A friend at my firm now worked there: notoriously cheap .....
Please define cheap...a 4th year receiving 21,250 a MONTH (not counting bonus) seems like a pretty good deal to me!
A 4th year receives that IF they bill enough to bring in about 3-4x that amount in revenue. You've heard the expression, "there are no free lunches?" That's definitely true in biglaw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:They ostensibly pay the same as others but use every excuse to not pay bonuses or give raises. Many associates have not received bonuses for vague reasons. Has never happened to me but too many others I trust have reported it for it to be false.
Correct. And with the most recent raises to $190k, some associates aren't even getting the pay raise because of low hours (let alone the summer bonus). AFAIK no other firm did this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:40 am

Bumping this: do they pay first years stub year bonuses? Considering an offer to join the NY office but some discussions in ITT make me a bit worried :|
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this: do they pay first years stub year bonuses? Considering an offer to join the NY office but some discussions in ITT make me a bit worried :|
No stub bonuses. Fiscal year runs from October 1-September 30, so you come in right at the start of the year. Which also makes it pretty tough to make your bonus as a first year (not a huge deal because it's so small), because it can take a couple of months to really ramp up your workload and for people to start giving you enough work to bill 40+ hours/week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this: do they pay first years stub year bonuses? Considering an offer to join the NY office but some discussions in ITT make me a bit worried :|
sorry to take over- but wondering: did you get your offer recently? just had a CB this week and getting nervous

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:16 pm

I know nothing about their culture or practice group strengths, but unless every other aspect of the firm is shit, I feel like I'd go there just for the 2-days work-from-home allowances per week.

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know nothing about their culture or practice group strengths, but unless every other aspect of the firm is shit, I feel like I'd go there just for the 2-days work-from-home allowances per week.
For whatever it's worth, there are many firms out there where you can work from home that often (or more) once you are established.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”