Withdrawing Apps after Offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Withdrawing Apps after Offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:11 pm

My school released grades somewhat late (today) so I applied everywhere pre-grades. I had a few callbacks for 1L SA positions and several interviews for PI positions. I just received an offer from a firm I would choose over most others (at least location wise).

What's the proper way to withdraw from firms if you've had a callback with them? What if you've only had a screener?
For PI positions you've interviewed for - proper way to withdraw?

If you haven't been interviewed/contacted, should you withdraw or should you just not send your grades?

Mobster1983

New

Re: Withdrawing Apps after Offer?

Post by Mobster1983 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:58 pm

Once you have the accepted offer, it is best, IMO, to contact the other firms you applied to and withdraw your application. All you have to tell them is that you have already accepted another offer.

This is the sensible thing to do so the other places you have applied to do not waste time reviewing your application. It could look bad if you received a call for an interview and at that point told them you have already accepted another offer.

Same goes for the firms that you have already had callbacks for. If you want to leave things open in the future, I would recommend emailing the partner or key individual you interviewed with, tell them you like their firm, but have accepted another offer.

Note that I talk here about an accepted offer. If you are waiting to see if something else comes along then I wouldn't close off anything. The offer could potentially be withdrawn if not accepted.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:35 pm

If you're just considering the offer, keep your applications in and keep going on interviews until you make a decision.

After you accept an offer, then you withdraw your applications regardless of what stage they're at.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:54 pm

more concretely:

Send an email to the recruiter (not the attorney you interviewed with) saying: "Dear X, Thank you for considering my application for a ____ position at ____ LLP. I have accepted an offer for this coming summer/year, and would like to withdraw my application from your consideration. Sincerely, ____."

They'll probably respond and ask where you went. They do this to keep track, and I don't see any harm in telling them unless you have a specific reason not to.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:06 pm

If there's one or two others that you might consider, you could reach out to them promptly and let them know you have an offer your are about to accept. I know we will try to expedite decisions for candidates we like that receive offers elsewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”