Trying to get into a particular practice group Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Trying to get into a particular practice group

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:05 am

Some background:

I'm a 3L, I have a job offer from a V-100 firm in a secondary city. During my SA, I did some work in a bit of a niche practice area, really enjoyed it, and decided I'd like to go that practice group when I start working for the firm. As I said, it is a bit of a niche practice. In the office I am going to, the firm has ~200 lawyers, of which about 5-10 are in this practice group. They only occasionally take on new first years. After the SA I had a few conversations with the lead partner for my office's practice group. Basically, she told me that there is one particular class I would have to take to even be considered.

Well, I hadn't really considered that practice area before, so I hadn't taken that class yet. So my 3L fall semester I took and CALI'd the class I needed. The way things were left with the partner, she basically told me to check in with her in the spring.

So my question is: should I / how should I update her on the fact that I CALI'd the necessary class? I don't know if it will help my chances at all (if they don't have any openings in that practice group I think they won't hire me) but I don't think it can hurt (maybe if its a close case the fact that I got a good grade might help my case?)

Any suggestions? Should I email her and say something like "I'm still interested in your practice group, and I CALI'd the class you told me to take" or something like that?

Any advice would be appreciated.

ETA: I'm not even sure "CALI" is a universal term. Do all lawyers know what CALIing a class means?

Anonymous User

Re: Trying to get into a particular practice group

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:44 am

This won't be helpful unless the professor has connections to your firm or works at your firm.

Is your firm more of a fixed assignment system or open assignment? Open assignment firms are generally pretty chill with what you take on as a first year so if that's the case, you can just look for assignments in x are and be like "I really enjoyed this class and want to get some reps in x" and you'll be fine. Fixed assignment firms won't really give a fuck.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”