Meeting with a Partner in his/her Office, need advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Meeting with a Partner in his/her Office, need advice

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:56 pm

I've seen some other topics regarding what to do when getting coffee with a partner, but I guess this situation is a little different. A mutual acquaintance referred me to a firm partner for a possible coffee/lunch meeting. The partner instead offered to meet me at his/her office and we set up a time.

Should I wear my suit or be more casual? I plan to bring a resume/other materials in the off chance I get asked, but I plan to leave them in my car to not seem pretentious and pushy (I mean if he/she really wants it I figure I can just email it).

Any other general tips?

Platinum

Re: Meeting with a Partner in his/her Office, need advice

Post by 2014 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:02 pm

If you have any way of determining what the associate dress code/norm is, I would match that (but at least business casual). You should absolutely conduct yourself professionally and look the part but a suit may feel stuffy, particularly if the partner actually views this as an informational session and is just insisting on it being in-office for convenience. If recruiting gets involved and other meetings get added to your schedule I'd trend toward suit (basically the more it seems like an actual interview the more formal you should dress, but in any event the way you present yourself should be as professional as an interview if that makes sense).

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:10 pm

suit up and bring a folio. leaving your resume in your car is effectively not bringing it at all. carrying a folio isn't pretentious or pushy. there's really no reason to play it coy - you both know that you're job-hunting.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:17 pm

I wore a suit even to informational meetings, but I may have overdone it. I never felt like a schmuck though for the 80% of times when the attorney I was meeting with showed up in a suit.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:39 pm

No one would (or should) hold wearing a suit against you. Suit up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

h2go

Bronze

Post by h2go » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:10 pm

kalvano wrote:No one would (or should) hold wearing a suit against you. Suit up.
Depends heavily on market.

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:15 pm

h2go wrote:
kalvano wrote:No one would (or should) hold wearing a suit against you. Suit up.
You're right.

OP, it's the legal market--suiting up won't hurt.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:23 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:
h2go wrote:
You're right.

OP, it's the legal market--suiting up won't hurt.
Agreed. I mean I've gotten comments when doing informational interviews or even during interviews to the extent of like "oh hey sorry you wore a suit, as you can see we're a casual office lololol" from partners wearing jeans and t-shirts and other stuff like that. In markets known for being very casual. But I've gotten offers/callbacks/etc. from those same firms so I really can't imagine that it would ever hurt.

Also, bring one of those folio things with your resume and stuff in it. Yes you can e-mail the partner your stuff later but if the partner is interested in you and asks for your resume, maybe he wants to see it right then and there to get a general feel for your background. And not having it will make you seem unprepared.

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:45 pm

Agreed. Personally, I used to always carry a folio with copies of resumes or other important docs, if for nothing other than to look normal.

I'm generally suspicious anytime someone walks into our office with no briefcase, folio, or any other documents. It almost looks nude. I typically think "man, this person is either wildly unprepared cause they checked even their briefcase and the airline lost it when they flew here for this meeting", or "wow this person is so important/experienced that he/she is just here to share thoughts and opinions and someone else will take care of writing it all down."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:03 pm

OP here.

Thanks for advice. It is in a market known for being more casual, but I will still suit up and bring my folio. I come from a mainly litigation-based background (newly licensed attorney doing an LLM on the job hunt) but I am looking to break into this firm's transactional based practice area.

I guess I should just discuss my interest even though I never had a transactional internship? Thanks guys.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”