Coverage Report as Writing Sample? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawhopeful100

Bronze

Coverage Report as Writing Sample?

Post by lawhopeful100 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:36 pm

I do insurance coverage work and am considering trying to lateral. A lot of what I do is write reports that analyze potential coverage issues. Would something like that, with appropriate redactions, be usable as a writing sample, or is it better to use a brief or something like that. I would be applying to a place that does similar work. Thanks in advance.

New

Re: Coverage Report as Writing Sample?

Post by 20181989 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:40 am

It's better to use the brief, if you've got one. But the coverage report will be fine, if that's mostly what you do. You should pick the sample that's best. If that's the report, use it. I see tons of applicants who submit memos as writing samples. (I'm guessing a memo is similar to a coverage report.)

Anonymous User

Re: Coverage Report as Writing Sample?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:35 pm

similar question on writing samples. junior associate in biglaw looking to lateral markets, but not sure what to use as a writing sample. I've only written sections of briefs, and even those sections were edited by senior associates. I wrote a brief in a pro bono case but can't use that without heavy redactions due to confidentiality concerns.

would it be better to use a heavily redacted brief or the writing sample I used as a 1L to apply to biglaw SAs initially?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”