Does the DOJ look good on a resume regardless of the office?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Does the DOJ look good on a resume regardless of the office?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:02 pm

I'm in a dilemma where I got an offer from a DOJ office (one that I really wanted to work for and lines up well with the practice area I want to pursue) but it's not really one of the "flashy ones," if that's even a thing. I'm still waiting to hear back from two other DOJ offices, both of which I've heard are more prestigious. But...does it really matter? I figured that the DOJ - regardless of what you're doing, as long as it's legal work - is prestigious enough on its own that it doesn't really matter where you end up (especially since all of these are in Washington DC).

Anonymous User

Re: Does the DOJ look good on a resume regardless of the office?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:57 pm

bump...could really use some input here

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:02 pm

What year is this? If it's 1L it really doesn't matter. Doing something that fits with what you want to do always trumps prestige in a vacuum.

doggozeg

New

Postby doggozeg » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in a dilemma where I got an offer from a DOJ office (one that I really wanted to work for and lines up well with the practice area I want to pursue) but it's not really one of the "flashy ones," if that's even a thing. I'm still waiting to hear back from two other DOJ offices, both of which I've heard are more prestigious. But...does it really matter? I figured that the DOJ - regardless of what you're doing, as long as it's legal work - is prestigious enough on its own that it doesn't really matter where you end up (especially since all of these are in Washington DC).

I don't believe it will be material since we are discussing 1L only. It works as a signaling mechanism and shows you can do legal work. Of course, you have preferences, but I don't think it will make a huge difference.

DOJ looks good regardless of office even when your personal experiences will vary.
Last edited by doggozeg on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:20 pm

if it's in an office you really want to work in - what difference does it matter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:25 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:What year is this? If it's 1L it really doesn't matter. Doing something that fits with what you want to do always trumps prestige in a vacuum.

(OP here) - I'm a 1L

bk1

Diamond

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:55 pm

It's a 1L summer job, doesn't really matter.

Return to “Legal Employment�