Buzzfeed Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Buzzfeed

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:43 am

Has anyone ever gotten an offer to interview here? Or does anyone have insight on what their legal dep't is like? (NY)

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: Buzzfeed

Post by SmokeytheBear » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:52 am

I know a TON of people just got laid off. Be careful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:12 am

SmokeytheBear wrote:I know a TON of people just got laid off. Be careful.
Yikes... good to know

Lesion of Doom

Bronze

Post by Lesion of Doom » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:31 pm

BuzzFeed is in a death spiral. Its financial outlook darkened considerably — and probably irrevocably — in 2015-16. I'd steer clear.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:17 pm

also curious
i don't care so much about long term since i'm not expecting to be hired after graduation, but just wanted to know more about the interview process and summers there

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:also curious
i don't care so much about long term since i'm not expecting to be hired after graduation, but just wanted to know more about the interview process and summers there
Yeah that's exactly what I was wondering ^

spha12

New

Post by spha12 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:03 am

Lesion of Doom wrote:BuzzFeed is in a death spiral. Its financial outlook darkened considerably — and probably irrevocably — in 2015-16. I'd steer clear.
even w/ all the traffic they are getting by posting any rumor or gossip about any well-known person no matter how substantiated just so they can be "first"...

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:42 am

spha12 wrote:
Lesion of Doom wrote:BuzzFeed is in a death spiral. Its financial outlook darkened considerably — and probably irrevocably — in 2015-16. I'd steer clear.
even w/ all the traffic they are getting by posting any rumor or gossip about any well-known person no matter how substantiated just so they can be "first"...
This is a strange first post. I don't think Buzzfeed even does this.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 am

blueapple wrote:
spha12 wrote:
The poster is probably defending the honor of our golden shower president

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Did the first round interview.. if anyone gets updates let us know!

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:05 pm

blueapple wrote:
spha12 wrote:
This is a strange and only first post. I don't think Buzzfeed even does this.

ftfy.

also, i'd imagine buzzfeed is less popular because there's only so many "you know you're a 90s kid if you ...." articles they can churn out.

flashdril

New

Post by flashdril » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:51 pm

Alright the jokes are funny and all but Buzzfeed News has some of the best reporters on the planet and has sent many others on to careers at more traditional news outlets. At least in theory the fun stuff is supposed to pay for the smart stuff.

Buzzfeed's financial situation isn't great, but it's not any worse than most digital media outlets right now. Their revenue grew but was short of forecasts. They probably just overhired with all the seed funding they got.

Can't add much about the interview process. As someone with a little knowledge of the media landscape, I'd say Buzzfeed is probably in better shape than most new media places to survive (it's not Gawker or Splinter or any of the Kinja sites, for example) but it's not, like, the Times or the Post.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:16 pm

I did the first round (video recording of 3 Qs - about 5 min total) last week and was contacted this Monday about a second round - phone call with counsel. Seems they're doing second rounds this week and planning on decisions by the end of the month

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did the first round (video recording of 3 Qs - about 5 min total) last week and was contacted this Monday about a second round - phone call with counsel. Seems they're doing second rounds this week and planning on decisions by the end of the month
Damn I didn't hear anything :( guess that's bad news. Good luck!!

nacogdoches

New

Post by nacogdoches » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:22 pm

FWIW if people are worried about the financial outlook side of Buzzfeed, it's actually reasonably healthy. The layoffs were mostly about advertising and sales staff who weren't needed when they switched to automatic advertising (there's an actual word for it, but it's ads that automatically populate, rather than being sold to be on a specific story). From that change, revenues went up and costs went down through laying off ad staff.

Source: I've got a college friend who works there in a different department.

spha12

New

Post by spha12 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:09 am

Nebby wrote:
blueapple wrote:
spha12 wrote:
The poster is probably defending the honor of our golden shower president
i'm actually not. i'm defending the honor of tons of people that this website will throw under the bus because they want to break a story first without doing the proper checks. all they care about is the clicks. buzzfeed is dumbing down discourse and the ethics of journalism. 1/4th of the site is probably native advertising. they are sh*t about acknowledging mistakes in their reporting as well. i couldn't care less about our orange president and those golden shower stories are probably true.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:26 pm

Buzzfeed has been steadily losing viewers/web traffic in recent years. More people are switching over to "traditional" outlets like WaPo and NYT from "viral" news outlets like Buzzfeed. #TheTrumpEffect

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”