2L feel like the end of the world Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L feel like the end of the world

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:54 am

From T-10 or T-13 or whatever you call it. Struck out OCI with median grades.

I suffered from very severe health problems (law school is not the reason!) and was hospitalized on and off. Although I really enjoyed the courses I'd picked for 2L fall semester, I ended up with a C- in one of the courses. Other grades are pending.

I'm much healthier now. I feel great for the first week of 2L second semester. I really enjoy my courses. That said, suppose I get above median or mediocre grades for this semester, would the C- still be a red flag to the law firms recruiters? Or should j just give up law firms and focus on a job which doesn't require transcripts?

I don't want to look for jobs outside of the legal field. I liked being a lawyer when I did my summer job. But I fear that the C- alone would exclude me from this field.

Has anyone here run into similar situation (aka, get an extremely bad grade) and turn your life around?

Thanks!

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Re: 2L feel like the end of the world

Post by BeeTeeZ » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm also a 2L, with little insight to offer, but I think you should give this a quick read.

http://hlrecord.org/2012/01/before-you- ... ur-grades/

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:49 pm

It's a bit unfortunate that you stayed the course for fall but if it's an option for you i would suggest trying to extend your graduation by at least a semester and re-doing OCI next year. While I was in school we had a couple of people who struck out at OCI and took personal leaves or slowed to less than a full time work load and then did OCI again the next year and at least two ended up picking something up there. I would sit down with your dean of students and ask what your options are, they should be able to work with you and hopefully can do so without making you spend more money (beyond the opportunity cost of entering the work force later).

If that's not in the cards for whatever reason a C- probably won't be a disqualifier but i would try to perform well this semester to add some support for your story that you are bright and qualified but just suffered an unfortunate medical set back. I don't have an educated opinion on how transparent you should be with employers about it (i.e. do you address it (i) in the cover email/letter (and risk drawing attention to something they didn't actually care about), (ii) once asked (and risk getting screened out due to GPA where they may have been more forgiving if they had the story) or (iii) never) but hopefully others are able to weigh in with experience. Doesn't hurt to have a meeting with your CSO either and hear them out, even if common wisdom is to take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:56 pm

Not the exact same situation but I had two C's in my law school career (both 1L) and it all worked out.

I started at a T50 and had one C during each 1L semester. Did well in other courses and still ended up just outside the top 25% at the end of 1L. Transferred to a T20 and did not have a ton of success of OCI, but was fortunate and ended up with an SA at a market-paying midlaw firm. I medianed out first semester of 2L but made straight As every other semester through graduation (graduated somewhere between top 10-20%). I worked at the midlaw firm for 1-2 years and then lateralled to a top biglaw firm in its market that is thought to be strict on grades. So, two quality firms were willing to give me a chance despite the C's, but I think you have to show them any bad grades are outliers.

I never brought those grades up in interviews (and was never asked about it). I also imagine transferring could have helped since my GPA was wiped clean at my transfer school, but both firms I worked/work at asked for and considered my entire law school transcript (including 1L).

All that to say that your C is far from a death sentence and it is not too late to turn things around.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not the exact same situation but I had two C's in my law school career (both 1L) and it all worked out.

I started at a T50 and had one C during each 1L semester. Did well in other courses and still ended up just outside the top 25% at the end of 1L. Transferred to a T20 and did not have a ton of success of OCI, but was fortunate and ended up with an SA at a market-paying midlaw firm. I medianed out first semester of 2L but made straight As every other semester through graduation (graduated somewhere between top 10-20%). I worked at the midlaw firm for 1-2 years and then lateralled to a top biglaw firm in its market that is thought to be strict on grades. So, two quality firms were willing to give me a chance despite the C's, but I think you have to show them any bad grades are outliers.

I never brought those grades up in interviews (and was never asked about it). I also imagine transferring could have helped since my GPA was wiped clean at my transfer school, but both firms I worked/work at asked for and considered my entire law school transcript (including 1L).

All that to say that your C is far from a death sentence and it is not too late to turn things around.
This is an incredible success story that does not seem representative of what happens to persons in your 1L circumstances

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:55 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not the exact same situation but I had two C's in my law school career (both 1L) and it all worked out.

This is an incredible success story that does not seem representative of what happens to persons in your 1L circumstances
Original anon you quoted.

Of course it is not representative of what typically happens. The OP asked if anyone had run into a similar situation with a bad grade or two and then turned it around, so I shared my experience. I did not think I needed to include a disclaimer that others' results might vary, but I do believe the takeaway is true: that it is possible to bounce back from one bad grade and get a job at a law firm. OP was wondering whether he/she should give up on law firms entirely.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:23 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

Everyone has the possibility of having a success story. It's only a matter of how badly you want the job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Everyone has the possibility of having a success story. It's only a matter of how badly you want the job.
Not sure why this is anonymous but also sure that it is not true.

NoChainz

Bronze

Post by NoChainz » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Not sure why this is anonymous but also sure that it is not true.
Oops - ironically I called out an anonymous post anonymously. I'm the second anon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”