People who found 2L Summer Employment in their Spring Semester - What are your stories/tips?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 325764
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

People who found 2L Summer Employment in their Spring Semester - What are your stories/tips?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Background: T14. Struck out at OCI.

I've been actively looking for a summer position for my 2L summer since last summer, through OCI, and until now. So far, nothing has landed. I'm sure I'm far from the only one in my position, so to all those who have been where I (and likely many others) are at right now: What are your stories? When did you finally land your 2L summer gig, and how did you do it? Was there a guaranteed offer of employment (officially or unofficially)? Was it paid? No matter what your story is, if you found 2L summer employment (far) post OCI, I wanna hear your story/tips.

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6619
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: People who found 2L Summer Employment in their Spring Semester - What are your stories/tips?

Postby pancakes3 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:03 pm

off the top of my head, my friends who struck out found gigs in bigfed, city gov, nonprofits, midsize firm massmail, and trade associations.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325764
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: People who found 2L Summer Employment in their Spring Semester - What are your stories/tips?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:05 pm

I was at a T20, below median, and struck out at OCI.

I received my 2L offer in mid to late March, and getting there was a fucking grind.

As to how, my strategy was to talk to any attorney that would give me the time of day and ask them questions about their practice and my local tertiary market in general. They know you're looking for a job. There's no need to ask directly or bring that up. If you can't hold back, asking "what's the best way to get into X practice area?" is probably as good a way as any to communicate that you're unemployed and looking.

Probably half of the attorneys I talked to would give me names of other attorneys to talk to, who I would then email to repeat the process. Eventually, I ended up talking to an attorney with the firm I ended up working for my 2L summer. It wasn't an ideal fit, because insurance defense sucks donkey balls, but it did pay, and it kept me from having a glaring gap on my resume. Luckily, I got no-offered and managed to hustle myself into a much better job just before sitting for the bar.

tl;dr - Network like your (work) life fucking depends on it - because it does.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325764
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: People who found 2L Summer Employment in their Spring Semester - What are your stories/tips?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was at a T20, below median, and struck out at OCI.

I received my 2L offer in mid to late March, and getting there was a fucking grind.

As to how, my strategy was to talk to any attorney that would give me the time of day and ask them questions about their practice and my local tertiary market in general. They know you're looking for a job. There's no need to ask directly or bring that up. If you can't hold back, asking "what's the best way to get into X practice area?" is probably as good a way as any to communicate that you're unemployed and looking.

Probably half of the attorneys I talked to would give me names of other attorneys to talk to, who I would then email to repeat the process. Eventually, I ended up talking to an attorney with the firm I ended up working for my 2L summer. It wasn't an ideal fit, because insurance defense sucks donkey balls, but it did pay, and it kept me from having a glaring gap on my resume. Luckily, I got no-offered and managed to hustle myself into a much better job just before sitting for the bar.

tl;dr - Network like your (work) life fucking depends on it - because it does.


Thanks for the advice! Just curious, did you attempt to apply to any jobs online through any career sites? Did anything come of that?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325764
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: People who found 2L Summer Employment in their Spring Semester - What are your stories/tips?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:59 pm

pancakes3 wrote:off the top of my head, my friends who struck out found gigs in bigfed, city gov, nonprofits, midsize firm massmail, and trade associations.

Do you know specifically how they went about landing those firm jobs? was it via job postings, or cold emails?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325764
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: People who found 2L Summer Employment in their Spring Semester - What are your stories/tips?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was at a T20, below median, and struck out at OCI.

I received my 2L offer in mid to late March, and getting there was a fucking grind.

As to how, my strategy was to talk to any attorney that would give me the time of day and ask them questions about their practice and my local tertiary market in general. They know you're looking for a job. There's no need to ask directly or bring that up. If you can't hold back, asking "what's the best way to get into X practice area?" is probably as good a way as any to communicate that you're unemployed and looking.

Probably half of the attorneys I talked to would give me names of other attorneys to talk to, who I would then email to repeat the process. Eventually, I ended up talking to an attorney with the firm I ended up working for my 2L summer. It wasn't an ideal fit, because insurance defense sucks donkey balls, but it did pay, and it kept me from having a glaring gap on my resume. Luckily, I got no-offered and managed to hustle myself into a much better job just before sitting for the bar.

tl;dr - Network like your (work) life fucking depends on it - because it does.


Thanks for the advice! Just curious, did you attempt to apply to any jobs online through any career sites? Did anything come of that?


I did apply online to a number of places, and I didn't get much out of it. I think there was one screener, but I can't recall. You should absolutely apply to those places though. This isn't an either or proposition. I mass mailed a bunch of firms as well, and I would encourage others to do the same, but I think networking is your best bet.

Come to think of it, I got my paid, in-house 1L job from a mass-mail. I contacted the GC out of the blue and ended up with a job, so definitely do that too.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.