DA + DHS to AUSA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DA + DHS to AUSA?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:17 pm

I'm an ADA with around 30-40 jury trials under my belt. I was a former DHS attorney where I did around 30 immigration trials removing terrorists, human rights violators, drug traffickers, etc. I also was in a secondment from DHS to the USAO office I want to work at (in other words, I was working as a Special AUSA for a year). I have no biglaw or clerkship experience, but I went to a top school with law review. The USAO district is very competitive, and normally only takes biglaw + clerkship. They hire only very few attorneys non-traditionally (attorneys that are not biglaw or clerkship). Do I have any shot at all in becoming a full-time AUSA?

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Re: DA + DHS to AUSA?

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:23 pm

Have you thought about, I dunno, applying and seeing if it works out? Or talking to the AUSAs in your target office that you know?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:26 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:Have you thought about, I dunno, applying and seeing if it works out? Or talking to the AUSAs in your target office that you know?

I have already applied. I've talked to AUSAs in my target office, but they know as much as me. There's a separate hiring committee, but unfortunately I do not know anyone in the committee.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
FascinatedWanderer wrote:Have you thought about, I dunno, applying and seeing if it works out? Or talking to the AUSAs in your target office that you know?

I have already applied. I've talked to AUSAs in my target office, but they know as much as me. There's a separate hiring committee, but unfortunately I do not know anyone in the committee.

I don’t mean this to be snarky, but I’m not sure any of us will be able to tell you anything more. Did you talk to any of you’re former supervisors rather than line AUSAs? In my previous office connections and being a known quantity (in a good way) often trumped other considerations, but that office also wasn’t pedigree snobby and regularly hired former ADAs. To be honest a lot of non-border districts aren’t especially interested in the immigration/removal stuff, but since you were seconded there presumably they do care, and having worked in that district could help you a great deal. But really, I don’t know how much more anyone can tell you. They have hired non-traditionally, so they could hire you, but apparently don’t very often, so they may not. Beyond that you’re just reading tea leaves.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don’t mean this to be snarky, but I’m not sure any of us will be able to tell you anything more. Did you talk to any of you’re former supervisors rather than line AUSAs? In my previous office connections and being a known quantity (in a good way) often trumped other considerations, but that office also wasn’t pedigree snobby and regularly hired former ADAs. To be honest a lot of non-border districts aren’t especially interested in the immigration/removal stuff, but since you were seconded there presumably they do care, and having worked in that district could help you a great deal. But really, I don’t know how much more anyone can tell you. They have hired non-traditionally, so they could hire you, but apparently don’t very often, so they may not. Beyond that you’re just reading tea leaves.

I completely understand. Thank you for your response. I may have posted in response to the anxiety rising from the waiting.

Return to “Legal Employment?