Department of Labor- OALJ clerkships Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Department of Labor- OALJ clerkships

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:11 pm

I'm not completely sure if this is the appropriate place to post this but does anybody have any experience working as a clerk with the DOL Office of Administrative Law Judges? Is the work interesting? What are the exit opportunities like?

Anonymous User

Re: Department of Labor- OALJ clerkships

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:00 pm

I interned for a regional office over the summer, so not completely the same situation - but I really enjoyed the work there.
The workload is a split of employment law cases under the longshore act and black lung act, federal whistleblower law, and BALCA immigration review decisions.
Some of the cases are repetitive, for instance there is an unlimited amount of causation cases it seems.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:39 pm

Did any of you all interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interned for a regional office over the summer, so not completely the same situation - but I really enjoyed the work there.
The workload is a split of employment law cases under the longshore act and black lung act, federal whistleblower law, and BALCA immigration review decisions.
Some of the cases are repetitive, for instance there is an unlimited amount of causation cases it seems.
I worked in the DC office, and this is mostly accurate. Depending on the ALJ you are assigned to, the bulk of the work is writing Black Lung Act decisions, Longshore, and/or whistleblower. It's a 2-3 year clerkship with no permanent offer available. I basically found myself competing with federal judicial law clerks for firm jobs and government jobs, which is not ideal. However, I did enjoy my time there, and I got a TON of legal writing experience. Also the office was very relaxed and my schedule was flexible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I interned for a regional office over the summer, so not completely the same situation - but I really enjoyed the work there.
I worked in the DC office, and this is mostly accurate. Depending on the ALJ you are assigned to, the bulk of the work is writing Black Lung Act decisions, Longshore, and/or whistleblower. It's a 2-3 year clerkship with no permanent offer available. I basically found myself competing with federal judicial law clerks for firm jobs and government jobs, which is not ideal. However, I did enjoy my time there, and I got a TON of legal writing experience. Also the office was very relaxed and my schedule was flexible.
Could you say what opportunities you ended up having after, without outing yourself?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Could you say what opportunities you ended up having after, without outing yourself?
Chances are if you end up at OALJ, you're not necessarily super competitive for big firm positions to begin with (though this is not always the case). I had an opportunity to stay with the government, but I also networked my ass off to get a few mid-size and boutique firm interviews/call backs. I think a common path for the clerks here is to go DOL Solicitor's office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:12 pm

Late bump...does anyone know what this hiring process is like? I just applied, but I missed the first deadline. Do we know how many are taken from each round? Or anything? Any info is appreciated!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:29 pm

The thread seems pretty dead but I have a DOL ALJ interview coming up! Any thoughts on where to learn about it or how to prep for an interview? Treat it like a normal clerkship interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:29 pm
The thread seems pretty dead but I have a DOL ALJ interview coming up! Any thoughts on where to learn about it or how to prep for an interview? Treat it like a normal clerkship interview?
I am a finalist for this year - wondering if anyone else is going through the process right now too

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:41 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:29 pm
I am a finalist for this year - wondering if anyone else is going through the process right now too
Also going through the process! Best of luck y'all!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”