Are bar expense reimbursements taxable? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Connoisseur

New

Are bar expense reimbursements taxable?

Post by Connoisseur » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:16 am

The firm where I summered (V20) treats reimbursements for bar expenses as taxable income. I recently heard from a friend that his firm (V5) does not report those payments as taxable income. I'm surprised by this difference and am interested to know which approach is more common.

Anonymous User

Re: Are bar expense reimbursements taxable?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:19 am

Yes, they are considered taxable income. Hence why employers can't give employees 'gifts' in the form of, say, tennis lessons.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:09 pm

we asked about this in my FIT class on whether it'd be included as an itemized deduction for Education Required by Employer or by Law and the answer is no, because 1) you're not "in the profession" yet when you take the bar and 2) even if you've started your job, the IRS has said that just because you're already doing the work, doesn't mean that you've necessarily met the minimum educational requirements of your trade or business to be considered "in the profession"

so CLE credits can be deducted, but not bar expenses.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:22 pm

Yea the amount your employer reimburses you gets added as income to your year end tax return and you get taxed on it. Fucking sucks. More reason to go for that cheaper costing Themis/free iPad combo or whatever there is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:42 pm

Must vary by firm whether they include them on your W2. Mine didn't. Not saying that they should or should not have.

midwestrocks

New

Post by midwestrocks » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:08 pm

Yugihoe wrote:Yea the amount your employer reimburses you gets added as income to your year end tax return and you get taxed on it. Fucking sucks. More reason to go for that cheaper costing Themis/free iPad combo or whatever there is.
Sucks a lot less than paying your own bar expenses

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”