Can 2L students attend law firm receptions?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can 2L students attend law firm receptions?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:41 pm

2L here. Struck out during OCI last August. Keep mass mailing but very low response rate.

Can I attend law firm receptions for 1Ls? It could be a good opportunity for networking but I've never seen any 2Ls attending them.

RedGiant

Bronze

Re: Can 2L students attend law firm receptions?

Postby RedGiant » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:35 pm

I don't think this is going to be a good use of your time. Very few law firms will do 3L recruiting, and it won't be based on who went to their reception--it'll be based on who has grades. There will be a lot of really great 2L summer jobs coming. Tons of really interesting govt stuff and in-house positions that are posted later. Do not give up on firms and keep checking Simplicity, but know that it is far more likely that you will find a smaller firm job that posts later or a great in-house job. Keep the faith, and knock it out of the park grade-wise during 2L. That's your best shot at landing a good job!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L here. Struck out during OCI last August. Keep mass mailing but very low response rate.

Can I attend law firm receptions for 1Ls? It could be a good opportunity for networking but I've never seen any 2Ls attending them.

Sorry OP for somewhat diverting the intent of your post but I'm in the same boat.

How many seminars during 2L will be considered 'slack' by firms during 3L OCI. My transcript will say 'S.' in front of each seminar and I'm sure its somewhat well known among the firms that they're graded on an easier curve. I took 2 in the fall, will taking 1 in the winter (making it a total of 5 lectures, 3 seminars) be a bad idea?

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:34 pm

FWIW, I do several 2Ls who did this when I was a 1L. I don't know if any of them found jobs, but its not unheard of.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:29 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:FWIW, I do several 2Ls who did this when I was a 1L. I don't know if any of them found jobs, but its not unheard of.

Crashing a party uninvited is a pretty bad look imo. If the event is specifically for 1Ls, and you're not one, then I highly doubt it's going to be productive.

Return to “Legal Employment�