Feeling incompetent?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Feeling incompetent?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:34 am

I'm a 3L about to start my last semester, and as I'm searching for post-graduation employment, I have this constant anxiety that I am not actually qualified for any of this. I'm just wondering if this is normal... Has anyone else felt this way, or is it just me?

umichman

Bronze

Re: Feeling incompetent?

Postby umichman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:43 am

You are not competent for any of this. Luckily for you, neither is anybody else applying to entry level jobs. People who have secured jobs get lulled into a false sense of competence because someone is giving them a chance. Don’t worry, you are at the same level as everyone else applying, at least you are one of the people who realize it.

Just feign confidence and you will land a job.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:56 am

You will learn how to do the job on the job, like everyone else. You’ll be fine.

mcmand

Silver

Postby mcmand » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:15 pm

I feel incompetent every day at my job. For some reason, they still give me more work.

It will be fine. Keep applying and good luck! You'll find something and you will do well.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:24 pm

"Impostor syndrome" is a rather common psychological phenomenon among people who work high-end white collar jobs. If you make it through law school and pass the bar, rest assured that you are just as incompetent as everyone else in your position. Almost nobody graduates from law school truly ready to handle matters of importance independently.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:45 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:You will learn how to do the job on the job, like everyone else. You’ll be fine.

Thats right.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:57 am

Thanks, everyone! It's nice to have some confirmation that it's not just me.

Return to “Legal Employment?