Considering Lateral Move for more M&A

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Considering Lateral Move for more M&A

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:10 pm

The title says it all. I'm a 3rd-year corporate associate at a V100 firm, and I would say my practice is currently about 60% M&A and 40% other corporate work (financings, corporate governance, etc.).

As sick as it sounds, deal work is what I really love, and I've been thinking about moving to a firm at which I could focus a larger portion of my work on M&A. Is this a poor reason to lateral? I'm otherwise happy at my current firm (minus the few difficult personalities that come with every workplace), and I'm not looking to move to another market (currently in D.C.). If not, what are some good firms for me to look into?

Appreciate any advice that you might have.

Anonymous User

Re: Considering Lateral Move for more M&A

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Bump. Anyone?

qxfr

New

Postby qxfr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:59 pm

It's a great reason to move, and you'll find that interviewers are very receptive. If your firm is otherwise good, however, it may be worth just asking to do more M&A work (or making sure you're always too busy with M&A work to take on other matters).

I don't know which firms (check Chambers?) but if you've been practicing in DC for 3 years you should have a pretty good idea of who the best players are.

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Postby PorscheFanatic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:17 pm

qxfr wrote:It's a great reason to move, and you'll find that interviewers are very receptive. If your firm is otherwise good, however, it may be worth just asking to do more M&A work (or making sure you're always too busy with M&A work to take on other matters).

I don't know which firms (check Chambers?) but if you've been practicing in DC for 3 years you should have a pretty good idea of who the best players are.

I don't work in the DC market, but I did interview there. Isn't there generally a lack of corporate work overall in DC, as more of a regulatory town? Do you think that's why your plate isn't 100% full of M&A work at your current firm, maybe there just isn't enough work to go around?

From my interviews, I think Goodwin Procter has a decent corporate practice, I think mostly PE M&A, and I'm pretty sure Latham's DC office gets pretty much all of Carlyle's work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:33 pm

I think this is a fine reason to move. However, I would caution you to really think about how that 60/40 split is working for you now. If you do 100% M&A, you cannot control when there's massive fire drills and all-nighters and double-super-urgent deals. A lot of people seek out the type of practice you are in, because the "company rep/non-M&A" stuff smooths out the crazy M&A deals. Picture your craziest deal, and then picture working on two of those deals at once, like when your chest hurts and your muscles ache because you are so overtired. Then picture doing that and being staffed on a deal or two coming down the pipeline. Staffing may be sane at your current firm, but you are taking a BIG risk by going to an "all-M&A" practice. I've been a paralegal in several of these practices, and it's explicitly why I chose more generalist corporate groups when I became an attorney.

Return to “Legal Employment�