Becoming a firefighter or police officer after obtaining a law degree Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Becoming a firefighter or police officer after obtaining a law degree

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:51 pm

I've been struggling to pass my bar exam for a bit and hoping this is the last sitting and I finally will get the job done. My only alternative is my sports connection (which is subjective and only up to him if I will ever get my professional sports team opportunity). I'm getting older and missing enough life to make me want to pursue another track if I can't get the job done this time. I just wanted to hear from those who become a police officer or firefighter afterwards and if you receive any additional compensation for being a lawyer and having a J.D. - Thank you!

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Re: Becoming a firefighter or police officer after obtaining a law degree

Post by foregetaboutdre » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Some larger depts give you like a meager 500-1k annual bonuses for a BA and maybe more for an advanced degree.

Try to be the union rep and during the collective bargaining process push for a degree bonus.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:44 pm

It'd depend on the department, but I've never seen a bonus for anything beyond a B.A.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:48 pm

thank you for the replies. I have tried applying to alternative JD careers with federal agencies like DHS on USA jobs and never get responses for interviews. I wonder if connecting directly with people on LinkedIn would be a better option. I just need to be working full-time already and sitting to pass a bar exam is getting exhausting without employment.

TransferHopeful17

New

Post by TransferHopeful17 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:53 pm

Have you tried looking into a career as a special agent with a fed agency? A legal background can be a plus when you’re applying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:02 pm

TransferHopeful17 wrote:Have you tried looking into a career as a special agent with a fed agency? A legal background can be a plus when you’re applying.
I only was offered an oppty with one federal law enforcement agency and failed their phase 1 exam so I can't sit for it again. However, I was hoping there would be others like DHS or DOD that I can apply for and have some sort of track with my legal and government experience. Any help would be appreciated, thank you

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:31 pm

You failed the bar multiple times and your phase 1? Do you have a mental block re: testing? That’s something to look into, bc lots of the jobs you’re interested in require testing...

Subban_Fan

New

Post by Subban_Fan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:49 pm

OP, an advantage of having a JD would probably be more of an advantage later on if you're vying for a promotion. Just a few exmaples, Raymond Kelly, Kathleen O'Toole, James L. Younger have J.D.s

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 am

cron1834 wrote:You failed the bar multiple times and your phase 1? Do you have a mental block re: testing? That’s something to look into, bc lots of the jobs you’re interested in require testing...
Mental block from PTSD I suffered from childhood and a car accident. I'm working with a new doctor now and better, I just don't know where to find these BigFed JD programs besides USAjobs (never heard back on any job on USAjobs).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”