Offshore "Magic Circle"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Blagojevich

New

Offshore "Magic Circle"

Postby Blagojevich » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:12 am

Good morning. I was wondering if anyone has any information regarding the hiring practices of the so-called "offshore magic circle" firms (such as Appleby, Maples, Bedell, Walkers, etc.) with respect to U.S. trained attorneys. Specifically, do they hire U.S. attorneys? If so, how does one go about obtaining employment?

BKing

New

Re: Offshore "Magic Circle"

Postby BKing » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:29 am

As far as I know, those offshore jurisdictions essentially follow British legal system so they hire UK/Australia/HK trained lawyers all the time but not US trained lawyers.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Re: Offshore "Magic Circle"

Postby deepseapartners » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:03 am

BKing wrote:As far as I know, those offshore jurisdictions essentially follow British legal system so they hire UK/Australia/HK trained lawyers all the time but not US trained lawyers.

Agreed. In my experience those sweet, sweet Cayman gigs go to Commonwealth lawyers.

Return to “Legal Employment�