1L Callbacks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:17 pm

I have been invited to three call-backs with TX big law firms (two were after attending receptions last week, and one after a couple of phone screening). My school has mock interviews but they don't start for another two weeks, and my call-back interviews are in days. I don't have any interview schedules set up, but I was just curious to hear people's general advice and what their experience was like attending call-backs.

Edit: I don't have any grades released so I wouldn't be able to talk about that.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: 1L Callbacks

Postby UVA2B » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:32 pm

Callbacks, and especially 1L Callbacks when you don't have any grades, are entirely about personality and fit. So that means you need to come in relaxed, confident, and able to talk about the stuff on your resume in ways that are interesting and spurs further conversation. Your interviews may ask about your favorite class and why, least favorite class and why, and possibly ECs if you did any in law school, but the expectations there are pretty low because you have one semester of law school and likely no real experience to talk about. Since you got the CBs through receptions, I'll assume you're from TX, and therefore are ready to sell your TX ties and how you want to end up in TX. And, in the end, we're talking about 3-4 different conversations that will feel eerily similar because the interviewers will mostly key on the same types of questions and the same things on your resume.

Just do your best to be likable and interesting. That's about all you can do at this stage of interviewing.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Postby ZVBXRPL » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have been invited to three call-backs with TX big law firms (two were after attending receptions last week, and one after a couple of phone screening). My school has mock interviews but they don't start for another two weeks, and my call-back interviews are in days. I don't have any interview schedules set up, but I was just curious to hear people's general advice and what their experience was like attending call-backs.

Edit: I don't have any grades released so I wouldn't be able to talk about that.

Diversity position?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:28 am

ZVBXRPL wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have been invited to three call-backs with TX big law firms (two were after attending receptions last week, and one after a couple of phone screening). My school has mock interviews but they don't start for another two weeks, and my call-back interviews are in days. I don't have any interview schedules set up, but I was just curious to hear people's general advice and what their experience was like attending call-backs.

Diversity position?

OP: no diversity positions, but I'm a URM. I have prior WE as paralegal and Big Law ties. I only have ties with one of the firms I am interviewing with which is why I'm assuming they reached out prior to meeting me.

Return to “Legal Employment�