Let's Talk San Diego!!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Let's Talk San Diego!!

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:46 pm

Focus is heavy on biotech/licensing with what seems to be a robust general litigation environment for what is largely considered LA's little brother. Limited corporate work outside of few firms. Pay is market at some of the firms and close at some of the smaller ones. Any word on any of these firms? Where's pay at? Grade cut offs? Hiring? Financial stability?

Firms to discuss:

Allen Matkins
Best Best
Buchanan Ingersol
Gordon Rees
Robbins Geller
DLA
Sheppard
Cooley
Dentons
Procopio
Higgs Fletcher Mack
Knobbe
Mofo
Duane Morris
Jones Day
Wilson Sonsini
Latham
Seltzer Caplan
Mintz Levin
Lewis Brisbois
Pillsbury
Foley & Lardner
Fish
Klindinst
Perkins Coie
Paul Hastings
Troutman Sanders
Gunderson

Anonymous User

Re: Let's Talk San Diego!!

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:00 am

Pretty much any office in SD is gettable if you have a good reason for wanting to be there and are in the top ~30% of your class at a t14. The grade requirements are going to start going up the lower ranked your school is, but USD will open doors as being the leading regional school. You'll still need great grades at USD to get in the top firms, but the door is not closed. Past threads have emphasized how heavy IP centered San Diego is, but I don't really find that to be a barrier for anyone targeting the area (e.g. I am at a biglaw firm in SD and a couple years ago my class had 7 members with no IP-type people).

Striver-attitude is generally frowned upon in the region, unless maybe you're talking Paul Hastings (which has an asshole rep in SD area as far as I know due to some toxic partners). Cooley and Latham are the biggest players in SD and I think both have the biggest classes (not usually more than 9). Cooley is near UTC and has a heavier emphasis on biotech/emerging companies but does a wide range of work. Latham is a little further north in Carmel Valley (where the majority of the bigger firms are) and has a bit of everything with a bigger environmental practice compared to other offices. Both do enough work of almost any type that you'll be able to find something you want to do unless you are going in with a specific niche idea.

Sheppard Mullin and Jones Day have bigger Labor & Employment practices. Jones Day also does a pretty good amount of white collar stuff. DLA is lit-heavy and has an office downtown. Pay is market at all the biglaw firms.

Honestly, I thought Pillsbury had closed their SD office awhile back and am surprised that their downtown location is still open. Robbins Geller is plaintiff side work and apparently a very chill work environment, but that's just based on one person. I don't think pay is market and am not sure if they have conventional summer classes. Not too sure about the other regional firms.

PvblivsScipio

Bronze

Re: Let's Talk San Diego!!

Postby PvblivsScipio » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:06 am

Wonder what the deal is with Gunderson. They’ve had a junior Corp opening pretty close together. This time around they’re accepting people who live in the Bay but must relocate within a year.

Return to “Legal Employment?