Diversity Position Application

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MFAZ1212

New

Diversity Position Application

Postby MFAZ1212 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:06 pm

The application for the summer associate diversity position/scholarship asks please explain your interest in XXX and how your unique experiences will contribute to the firm's commitment to diversity.

The first part I can do, but I'm having trouble with the second part because the "because I'm Mexican" statement probably will not suffice.

Thoughts on what I should do?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Diversity Position Application

Postby sparkytrainer » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:09 pm

Just fyi, the firms I know use diversity positions to specifically recruit AA candidates. Not that you won't have success, but just as a heads up.

HillandHollow

New

Postby HillandHollow » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:12 pm

First, assume (for the sake of this application, at least) that the firm really does believe in diversity/believes that there is something about increasing diversity in its workforce that is valuable to the firm. Why do they think that? Do your experiences and background line up with the firm’s beliefs and expectations? They won’t think there is necessarily any value add to just being Mexican, but if you have demonstrated resiliency or overcoming obstacles or whatever, go with that.

sfn91

Bronze

Postby sfn91 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:58 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:Just fyi, the firms I know use diversity positions to specifically recruit AA candidates. Not that you won't have success, but just as a heads up.

Huh? I've never heard this before and from the various firms and diversity SA's I know, there are plenty (if not most) who aren't AA.

OP: apply, these programs are meant to recruit broadly and all URMs/LGBT folks can get them. Talk about the lack of representation among lawyers who are MA, if you had any disadvantages how you grew as a result of them, language skills if you have any, etc.
Last edited by sfn91 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:01 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:Just fyi, the firms I know use diversity positions to specifically recruit AA candidates. Not that you won't have success, but just as a heads up.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OtterLaw

Silver

Postby OtterLaw » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:05 am

Yeah, this is inherently false. I got a diversity scholarship SA position for both 1L and 2L summer and I am a white guy. I know many others who had similar luck with other types of diversity in other firms. Just explain in your personal statement how your experiences as a MA will make your viewpoint diverse and valuable. A compelling story regarding your heritage will easily suffice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:05 pm

Wow, that's untrue.
Regardless, if you're Mexican American and are culturally Mexican in any way...there's a lot to talk about, e.g. language, immigration, gender roles, socioeconomic status, whatever you want to interpret that's related to who you are.

I know a lot of Mexican Americans who have gotten diversity positions when their cultural identity wasn't language or immigration really, but just how they interacted with their family.

**there's also diversity positions that will permit white gay men to apply so obviously it's firm-dependant

Return to “Legal Employment?