New York Litigation - TLS Guide

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

New York Litigation - TLS Guide

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:13 pm

Where would you go, and in what rough order, if you had to stay in New York, but wanted to litigate, and hoped for a high quality experience? Let’s presume after one year of clerking, and no superhuman skills like a random MS in EE.

Among the best options, putting out: Susman; Boies Schiller; Patterson Belknap; Jenner & Block; Molo Lanken; Paul Weiss; and lets add the white shoe Cravath, Davis Polk, S&C. More? Sorry if this is tedious but TLS is (often to a fault) great at ranking things, vault is a laughably terrible guide for litigators, and I’d be curious what the hive mind as to add or offer.

P.S. yes, I know the list would be very different (and much more exhaustive) if places like Eimer Stahl, KVN, Munger Tolles, Williams & Connolly, Hueston Hennigan, ect. were options. But for some who have important reasons for being in the city, they are not.

TY

UVA2B

Gold

Re: New York Litigation - TLS Guide

Postby UVA2B » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:19 pm

INB4 this thread accomplishes nothing.

rahulg91

Bronze

Postby rahulg91 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:22 am

Why would TLS be any better at this than Chambers or Vault?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:21 pm

It will be quite difficult to come up with a "ranking" of go-to litigation firms in NYC. Generally, firms are kind of grouped together with other similar peers. Seems like you've got a basic handle on where the groups are (not sure about Jenner though). PPL can debate which firm(s) goes into which group, and those conversations can sometimes be informative only to the extent that they tell you something new (or elaborate about something) about a firm that you didn't already know.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:37 pm

I can see why this question was posted anon.

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:55 pm

Does anyone remember the post about the NYC firm that had all Chinese speaking partners and folding chairs for associates? I tried searching but couldn't find it. That firm is No. 1 in NYC Lit. Paul Weiss, Cravath, and all the other scrubs are fighting for second.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:05 pm

rahulg91 wrote:Why would TLS be any better at this than Chambers or Vault?

TLS might be better than Vault.
But Chambers already provides all the relevant info.

not.shelob

Bronze

Postby not.shelob » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:06 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:Does anyone remember the post about the NYC firm that had all Chinese speaking partners and folding chairs for associates? I tried searching but couldn't find it. That firm is No. 1 in NYC Lit. Paul Weiss, Cravath, and all the other scrubs are fighting for second.

lol

not.shelob

Bronze

Postby not.shelob » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:09 pm

if you clerked I think HSG is probably one of the top options right now

truth is, what sort of lit you do at these firms is going to matter as much as the firm's general perception.

if you're junior, look for a place that staffs leanly and allows you to do real work- that means avoiding the PW style megacase nonsense

also, once you're at that level prestige is going to matter less than you think. I would say you're better off finding specific partners/lit groups you want to work in than anything else.

encore1101

Silver

Postby encore1101 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:46 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:Does anyone remember the post about the NYC firm that had all Chinese speaking partners and folding chairs for associates? I tried searching but couldn't find it. That firm is No. 1 in NYC Lit. Paul Weiss, Cravath, and all the other scrubs are fighting for second.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=278978

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:56 pm

encore1101 wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=278978

Best firm in the city right there^ The whitest of the white shoes

Return to “Legal Employment?