Ideas on Getting an Adjunct Professor Gig

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ideas on Getting an Adjunct Professor Gig

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:40 pm

I am a junior corporate associate in big law in a major non-NYC market. I am really interested in teaching a class at a law school or bschool, but I don't think my two years of big law make me much of an expert. I don't have a t-13 degree, but I was a teaching assistant for undergrad and law classes throughout law school and also worked for several years before law school in a fairly prestigious gig.

Any recommendations on places to start? I am not looking for a full time gig, just would like to try teaching a class somewhere.

Anonymous User

Re: Ideas on Getting an Adjunct Professor Gig

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:11 am

Different anon here--have also been thinking about this off and on for awhile and would be very interested in hearing any suggestions people are willing to share.

Very different background from OP as well--have about 3 years experience as a state prosecutor and am just wrapping up my first year as a criminal AUSA. Like OP the law is a second career for me, and my first career would probably dovetail well with my current experience in qualifying me to teach certain subjects.

Thanks in advance for any insight/anecdotes on the subject.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:44 am

you can be an adjunct prof at a community college.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am a junior corporate associate in big law in a major non-NYC market. I am really interested in teaching a class at a law school or bschool, but I don't think my two years of big law make me much of an expert. I don't have a t-13 degree, but I was a teaching assistant for undergrad and law classes throughout law school and also worked for several years before law school in a fairly prestigious gig.

Any recommendations on places to start? I am not looking for a full time gig, just would like to try teaching a class somewhere.

At a TTT I transferred from, they used to believe that associates from Big Law has some sort of INDUSTRY EXPERIANCE and at least let them adjunct. Why not take a professor from a nearby school out to lunch and ask what it took?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:57 am

I would suggest just contacting the dean for academic affairs (or title most similar to that) at the local law school/bschool to inquire about the possibility of teaching a class. If you have any connections at the school, you could ask the connection(s) what kinds of classes they need covered and how the school hires adjuncts. Or if you know anyone at your firm/office who adjuncts somewhere, ask them who they got in contact with and how they got hired. Otherwise, you could send a cover letter explaining your background, experience, and what courses you can teach, along with a resume. (Academic job cover letters tend to be a bit longer than regular job application cover letters, so feel free to go into a bit more detail.)

It would probably make sense to look at their faculty listings and catalogue to see what courses aren't covered by a tenured/tenure-track prof and what they have on the books that doesn't get offered much. So, for instance, if your previous experience was with journalism and you wanted to teach First Amendment law, but there's a tenured prof who teaches First Amendment law every single semester, maybe propose something more specific to journalism. Or if there's a Media Law course on the books but it doesn't seem to have been offered recently, suggest that.

Also it seems pretty common to hire adjuncts for Legal Writing positions - if you're interested in that, there's usually one faculty person who coordinates the LWR program, so contact them.

Cold contacts are generally perfectly normal in this kind of situation.

(You can do the above for a community college, too, but you may need to be more careful about what you suggest teaching. Many community colleges want to see something like 18 hours of grad work in the field you'd be teaching in, and law will count for some fields but not others.)

tomwatts

Gold

Postby tomwatts » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:10 pm

In my region (SF Bay Area), almost every school advertises that they require at least 5 years experience before you can adjunct. It would be worth checking local law school sites to see if they say anything about a minimum number of years of experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:51 am

I’m a first year - so definitely not an expert (in my practice area or re getting adjunct gig). However, I am guest lecturing at my law school this coming semester. I just talked to my old prof and sold why it would be value added (and I’m sure they don’t mind skipping a class).

We are now in talks to co-teach in upcoming semesters down the road. Note this is an elective course in a specialized practice area, and the profs I’m working with are also long-time adjunct professors who practice in the area.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:I’m a first year - so definitely not an expert (in my practice area or re getting adjunct gig). However, I am guest lecturing at my law school this coming semester. I just talked to my old prof and sold why it would be value added (and I’m sure they don’t mind skipping a class).

We are now in talks to co-teach in upcoming semesters down the road. Note this is an elective course in a specialized practice area, and the profs I’m working with are also long-time adjunct professors who practice in the area.

One of my classmates did the co-teaching thing as I want to say a second-year. And I know another who taught LRW around year 4.

You (OP/generic you) will definitely be a stronger candidate the more experience you have, but especially if you're staying in your current market for a while I don't think it hurts to reach out to people at the school whenever you're interested. For adjuncting (at least in the non-legal arena) it's pretty common to send in your materials to be on file as the school's hiring needs change.

Return to “Legal Employment?