protocol for turning down work when new job seems imminent

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

protocol for turning down work when new job seems imminent

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:18 pm

Title says it. I work at a firm in one city; I have a callback scheduled with a firm in another city next week. I think it is likely I will get the job. If I don't get this one, I will eventually get one in this new city. The turnaround would be quick: I would be expected to start at the new firm within the next month I believe. But I am still getting new assignments on a near daily basis from my current firm. I am accepting same. My feeling is that I don't turn down stuff until I actually have an offer. Still, I would hate to be responsible for numerous time sensitive projects only to have to hand them off at the last minute. Is there a way to handle this?

Hopefullitassociate

New

Re: protocol for turning down work when new job seems imminent

Postby Hopefullitassociate » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:51 pm

I personally wouldn't turn down any assignments on this basis (unless you're super busy and the quality of your work would suffer). Barring any extraneous circumstances, a callback is promising but not enough of a guarantee to acting like you have something lined up with regards to your current firm. Don't worry about passing off work - you and the firm will deal with that if and when the time comes. But until you have an offer in hand and have put in notice, I wouldn't do anything to compromise your work relationships at your current firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:12 pm

You should pretend like you are not going to get the job until you do, and keep up appearances. I have had a call back and been waiting for the offer and have been rejected. You never know how these things go or who your competition is. Especially, in the lateral market.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:46 pm

Yep, the firm will figure shit out when / if you leave. Don’t put the cart before the horse.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:18 pm

Agree with others. There are some reasonable reasons to turn down more work (e.g. if you're already super-busy), but not because you're hoping or expecting to get an offer that you don't have yet.

Return to “Legal Employment?