Staying focus on the job

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
L_William_W

Staying focus on the job

Postby L_William_W » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:32 pm

After all of the misery of sending in resumes and cover letters, going to pointless career fairs, and getting rejected for jobs that I could do in my sleep, I finally got a job at a law firm. One of my buddies from law school hooked me up with this job at a firm that handles auto accidents and personal injuries. The good news is that I rarely have to appear in court- I don't like dealing with narcissistic judges. The bad news is that the job entails a shitload of tedious writing.

I'm going to be working from 11 to 6. How do I stay focus and not fall asleep, daydream, or have the urge to look at Facebook or YouTube?

RaceJudicata

Re: Staying focus on the job

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:35 pm

Lol... 11-6? You are living the dream man or woman. Enjoy.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:16 pm

...have you not had a (sort of) full-time job before? I’m sorry to sound snarky, but this is what working entails. You have to just do the work (or at least figure out how many FB breaks or the like you can take without obviously slacking or interfering with getting everything done on time). Try breaking it down into smaller tasks so you feel like you’re making progress rather than facing a never ending sea of writing. Or if wearing headphones is acceptable, put on some music that energizes you (or if it’s really tedious because completely mindless, podcasts).

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:29 pm

L_William_W wrote:After all of the misery of sending in resumes and cover letters, going to pointless career fairs, and getting rejected for jobs that I could do in my sleep, I finally got a job at a law firm. One of my buddies from law school hooked me up with this job at a firm that handles auto accidents and personal injuries. The good news is that I rarely have to appear in court- I don't like dealing with narcissistic judges. The bad news is that the job entails a shitload of tedious writing.

I'm going to be working from 11 to 6. How do I stay focus and not fall asleep, daydream, or have the urge to look at Facebook or YouTube?

amazing.

mcmand

Postby mcmand » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:52 pm

C- trolling. Your hours are a dead giveaway. Work on your subtlety.

L_William_W

Postby L_William_W » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:12 am

I'm not trolling. Let me explain the situation. I passed the NY bar this past July (on attempt #3). However, I'm not actually admitted. I have to do Character and Fitness, employee affidavits, etc. I can't legally practice law in NY state until I'm admitted. A friend of mine who passed the bar a year ago works at a firm that's inundated with paperwork. I'm basically going to be doing the behind the scenes paperwork while he and the senior attorney go to court. It's not a glamorous job, but it's better than mooching off my parents.

I don't own a car. I use public transportation. I live in Queens, NY near JFK Airport. The firm is in Westchester. That's a 2 hour commute, assuming the trains run on time. They originally wanted me to work 10 to 6, but they agreed to let me work 11 to 6 with a slight decrease in pay. I'm not a morning person.

Out of all of the things I could do on a Friday night, why would I post some bullshit?

Now, getting back to the original question. How the hell am I supposed to stay focused for those long hours? I really don't want to fuck this opportunity up.

ClubberLang

Postby ClubberLang » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:22 am

If you are currently mooching off your parents, and can't motivate yourself to get to work by 10am for more money, then I don't think there is anything you can do to keep focus at work. Get it together man. You probably ducked up the opportunity already by negotiating a 11-6 workday.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:24 am

Again - have you not worked before? Why not try it and see how you do before you start worrying about this?

RaceJudicata

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:25 am

L_William_W wrote:I'm not trolling. Let me explain the situation. I passed the NY bar this past July (on attempt #3). However, I'm not actually admitted. I have to do Character and Fitness, employee affidavits, etc. I can't legally practice law in NY state until I'm admitted. A friend of mine who passed the bar a year ago works at a firm that's inundated with paperwork. I'm basically going to be doing the behind the scenes paperwork while he and the senior attorney go to court. It's not a glamorous job, but it's better than mooching off my parents.

I don't own a car. I use public transportation. I live in Queens, NY near JFK Airport. The firm is in Westchester. That's a 2 hour commute, assuming the trains run on time. They originally wanted me to work 10 to 6, but they agreed to let me work 11 to 6 with a slight decrease in pay. I'm not a morning person.

Out of all of the things I could do on a Friday night, why would I post some bullshit?

Now, getting back to the original question. How the hell am I supposed to stay focused for those long hours? I really don't want to fuck this opportunity up.

Seemingly obvious troll; but I'll engage.

Couple points:
1. No freakin chance you can get from JFK area to Westchester via public transit in two hours.
2. You aren't working long hours. 11-6 is nothing.
3. The paperwork you describe sounds ordinary for a junior attorney (whether admitted or not).
4. Setting the commute aside, just lol that you picked these hours because you "aren't a morning person." bold move bringing this up in an interview.
5. As for paying attention at work...idk dude, just do it. It's work; just buck up and focus for a few hours a day. Your day has about 6 hours of commuting built in; browse social media or the web during that time.

L_William_W

Postby L_William_W » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:17 am

RaceJudicata wrote:
L_William_W wrote:I'm not trolling. Let me explain the situation. I passed the NY bar this past July (on attempt #3). However, I'm not actually admitted. I have to do Character and Fitness, employee affidavits, etc. I can't legally practice law in NY state until I'm admitted. A friend of mine who passed the bar a year ago works at a firm that's inundated with paperwork. I'm basically going to be doing the behind the scenes paperwork while he and the senior attorney go to court. It's not a glamorous job, but it's better than mooching off my parents.

Seemingly obvious troll; but I'll engage.

Couple points:
1. No freakin chance you can get from JFK area to Westchester via public transit in two hours.
2. You aren't working long hours. 11-6 is nothing.
3. The paperwork you describe sounds ordinary for a junior attorney (whether admitted or not).
4. Setting the commute aside, just lol that you picked these hours because you "aren't a morning person." bold move bringing this up in an interview.
5. As for paying attention at work...idk dude, just do it. It's work; just buck up and focus for a few hours a day. Your day has about 6 hours of commuting built in; browse social media or the web during that time.

1) LIRR from Locust Manor to Penn Station, subway to Grand Central, Metro-North to Larchmont

4) It wasn't an interview. My friend simply sent me an email asking me if I was interested in working there. I said yes. Then, I met him and the senior attorney at the firm where we discussed what the job would entail. They then asked me if I was ok with working 10 to 6. I said that I would be willing to do 10 to 6 but 11 to 6 works better than me for the aforementioned reasons. It's not worth it to be sleep deprived and do half ass work.

And once again, I'm not a troll. Seriously, it's 1 AM on Saturday morning. I could be doing a million other things besides posting gibberish just for the hell of it. If you need more convincing, look at my previous posts.

mcmand

Postby mcmand » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:19 am

Even assuming you're not a troll, if your level of distraction and lack of focus is so bad that you can't just put things away and focus, then see a doctor about adult ADD.

There's no magic advice here. Studies show having your cell phone nearby induces distraction and breaks focus. So put your cell phone on silent and out of sight. Facebook and other websites are known to be addictive, driving the same reward centers of the brain with notifications. Delete Facebook, or at least block it on your work computer with a browser extension, along with any other websites you're tempted by (like this one).

Use short timers to keep you accountable for short bursts. This could be internal (e.g., "I won't take a bathroom or snack break until I write these two paragraphs") or physical (stopwatch, timer, etc.).

Reward yourself for good behavior. Disincentivize bad behavior. Be an adult.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:37 am

L_William_W wrote:After all of the misery of sending in resumes and cover letters, going to pointless career fairs, and getting rejected for jobs that I could do in my sleep, I finally got a job at a law firm. One of my buddies from law school hooked me up with this job at a firm that handles auto accidents and personal injuries. The good news is that I rarely have to appear in court- I don't like dealing with narcissistic judges. The bad news is that the job entails a shitload of tedious writing.

I know I'm not supposed to post in here because I'm a 0L, but I hope the mods will overlook my breaking of the rules in order to help a fellow TLSer.

For the past 2 years, I've had an incredibly boring job in finance; so I feel you, op. I really do...

I think you need to start taking pride in your work, even if your job is mindless and/or feels "beneath you."

Imagine you have a job as a checkout person at a grocery store. You can choose to be some miserable, resentful, horrid bastard doing that job. You can exude resentfulness and bitterness, pilfering time by checking Facebook and Twitter every 10 minutes. Sure, you can do that. You can subtly hint that coming in an hour later is what works best for you... You can take your menial position and turn it into a nice slice of hell if you so choose, that's for sure. But what good does that do? Maybe this job could turn into a full-time offer/recommendation if you do good work. The point is, no matter what you're stuck doing in life, be grateful you have the position because gratitude is often the antidote for boredom. Better to be doing doc review than completely unemployed, right?

Also, sometimes you just have to buckle down and force the conscientiousness and make it a habit. If you haven't been employed for a while it can be hard at first. Give it a few weeks and you'll hopefully break into a routine.

There's a lot more to life than your job, and when you only work 11am-6pm there's plenty of time to enjoy outside of work. Plan things after work so you have something to look forward to. When it's hard to stay focused you can look forward to a nice date or just ordering sushi and watching Netflix after work.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:40 am

Again - have you not worked before? Why not try it and see how you do before you start worrying about this?

Yeah, this. Although OP's attitude is a pile of shit to begin with, so who knows. Seriously: (1) "misery of sending in resumes and cover letters," "pointless career fairs," "jobs that I could do in my sleep," "dealing with narcissistic judges," and "shitload of tedious writing." All in one paragraph. And then the next is asking how to focus at a 11-6 job when most of TLSers at firms are probably working 10-12 hour days on a fairly regular basis.

Maybe OP wouldn't have this problem if he kills the attitude and takes pride in his work. I guess if all else fails, the OP could think about how fucking grateful he should be to his buddy for keeping him from unemployment, and work hard enough to not make the buddy look like a total asshole for introducing the firm to OP.

Although, going to Facebook or Youtube for a brief break every so often isn't the worst thing in the world. Just as long as it's not being done every few minutes.

The_Lorax

Postby The_Lorax » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:49 am

Threads like these are why I still check TLS. Solid A- would recommend

L_William_W

Postby L_William_W » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:45 pm

I said 11 AM because I wanted a fudge factor in case some shit happens with the trains (and based on past history, that's quite possible). It's not like I'm going to come at 11 on the dot. I intend to come earlier. I simply don't want to make a promise that I can't keep and look bad by coming late if the trains are delayed.

And just so we're clear, I'm not actually practicing law. I'm basically doing the work of a paralegal even though I passed the bar since I'm not an actual admitted attorney. I'm definitely not getting paid a lawyer's salary. If I was then I'd buy a place closer to the city and the travel issues would be a moot point.

7 hours where I'm 100% focused is better than 10 hours when I'm half asleep and looking at Facebook or old WWE matches on YouTube.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:08 pm

Should have taken one of those jobs you could do in your sleep huh? At least you don’t have to deal with all those judges who think they’re smarter than you are and are able to work more than 7 hours a day.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:20 pm

Don't make your friend look like an asshole by being a shitty employee. If nothing else works, remember someone was nice enough to stick her neck out for you.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:49 pm

If you search for "doc review" you might be able to find good advice. (I'm assuming that's basically what this is.)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:37 am

L_William_W wrote:I said that I would be willing to do 10 to 6 but 11 to 6 works better than me for the aforementioned reasons. It's not worth it to be sleep deprived and do half ass work.

If getting in before 11:00 is going to make you sleep deprived, I think you have a whole host of other issues that will present themselves once you start doing "real work."

1styearlateral

Postby 1styearlateral » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:30 pm

Breathtaking post.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:36 am

update?

1styearlateral

Postby 1styearlateral » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:29 am

Legend has it OP worked so many long hours in a row that he fell asleep and never woke up.

Return to “Legal Employment”