Insight into Susman's Summer Program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327359
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Insight into Susman's Summer Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:43 pm

I know that this is probably a shot in the dark given the small size, but I was wondering if anyone has any insight into the mechanics of Susman's 2L summer program -- in particular how full-time offers work? Vault reports that 7/13 2L summers received offers. If one has a clerkship, is the decision being made on the basis of work quality over the 4 weeks, 2L grades, "fit", or all of the above? I imagine no one here will have crystal clear insight, but I thought someone might have experience as a summer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327359
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Insight into Susman's Summer Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:45 pm

My understanding from a Susman partner I was friendly with in law school is that they will not hire you unless you have a clerkship. I don't know what that means logistically for the 2L summers (i.e., whether their offer at end of summer is dependent on you getting a clerkship for right after law school if you haven't landed one already).

Anonymous User
Posts: 327359
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Insight into Susman's Summer Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My understanding from a Susman partner I was friendly with in law school is that they will not hire you unless you have a clerkship. I don't know what that means logistically for the 2L summers (i.e., whether their offer at end of summer is dependent on you getting a clerkship for right after law school if you haven't landed one already).


Yep, I know the clerkship stipulation. But surely most, if not all, Susman summers have a clerkship by their 2L summer these days? Maybe they wouldn't have pre-class of 2016 or whenever the latest iteration of the plan broke down, but these days so many judges are moving 1L summer. Maybe the Vault statistics reflect that (I see the data is from summer of 2016)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327359
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Insight into Susman's Summer Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know that this is probably a shot in the dark given the small size, but I was wondering if anyone has any insight into the mechanics of Susman's 2L summer program -- in particular how full-time offers work? Vault reports that 7/13 2L summers received offers. If one has a clerkship, is the decision being made on the basis of work quality over the 4 weeks, 2L grades, "fit", or all of the above? I imagine no one here will have crystal clear insight, but I thought someone might have experience as a summer.


I summered there. From what I could gather from conversations with associates and partners, offers are made based on work quality and fit. No one asked me for my grades before giving me an offer. For people who don't have clerkships, they give you an offer but you can't technically start working there until after you have clerked.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327359
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Insight into Susman's Summer Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know that this is probably a shot in the dark given the small size, but I was wondering if anyone has any insight into the mechanics of Susman's 2L summer program -- in particular how full-time offers work? Vault reports that 7/13 2L summers received offers. If one has a clerkship, is the decision being made on the basis of work quality over the 4 weeks, 2L grades, "fit", or all of the above? I imagine no one here will have crystal clear insight, but I thought someone might have experience as a summer.


I summered there. From what I could gather from conversations with associates and partners, offers are made based on work quality and fit. No one asked me for my grades before giving me an offer. For people who don't have clerkships, they give you an offer but you can't technically start working there until after you have clerked.


Thanks! TLS came through.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327359
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Insight into Susman's Summer Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:07 am

Is the offer thing still true?

When I went in for a callback, they were very specific about saying that the summer program no longer results in an offer, because of the clerkship requirement, etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327359
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Insight into Susman's Summer Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is the offer thing still true?

When I went in for a callback, they were very specific about saying that the summer program no longer results in an offer, because of the clerkship requirement, etc.


OP: I can't say for sure, but my sense from the CB and talking with 1Ls that worked there last summer is that an offer isn't the expectation, but that some people do receive offers. That could be a mistaken intuition though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327359
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Insight into Susman's Summer Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:02 pm

Current SG associate. Summer offers are office specific. Certain offices (e.g., NYC) no longer extend offers (to any candidates) at the end of the summer program. We don't have enough spots to tie them up years in advance. But the summer program is still a hiring pipeline. We stay in touch with former summers, who might end up receiving offers once wrapping up what is usually multiple clerkships. Those candidates generally have a leg up on candidates who never summered, since we already have a good sense of fit and work quality from the summer (and from post-summer interactions).

Anonymous User
Posts: 327359
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Insight into Susman's Summer Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:39 pm

How useful is it to network with associates/partners in an SG office you don't want to target? For example, if you're clerking in NY/LA and want to work in the office on the opposite coast is it still worth it to go to the recruiting events/get to know the people in that office? Will it at all translate into a leg up in hiring if you know/get on well with the people in the other office?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327359
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Insight into Susman's Summer Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Current SG associate. Summer offers are office specific. Certain offices (e.g., NYC) no longer extend offers (to any candidates) at the end of the summer program. We don't have enough spots to tie them up years in advance. But the summer program is still a hiring pipeline. We stay in touch with former summers, who might end up receiving offers once wrapping up what is usually multiple clerkships. Those candidates generally have a leg up on candidates who never summered, since we already have a good sense of fit and work quality from the summer (and from post-summer interactions).


Thank you -- that's very helpful. In part this was an attempt to gauge how conservative I want to be going forward in my course selection (in relation to grades). It's good to know that I may well be in a position where grades are important, even if I no longer need to worry about clerkships and other grade-selective things.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327359
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Insight into Susman's Summer Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:45 pm

SG anon again. I can't recall ever reviewing (or receiving) 3L grades for any post-summer candidate vote. I can't say categorically it doesn't happen, but in my experience the decision is based on your performance as a summer. We hire people we think will excel as associates; work product and personality are better predictors there than another year of (usually impressive) grades.

With respect to networking with other offices, each office makes its own hiring decisions in terms of who to put up for a firm-wide vote. That said, we listen to and take seriously any specific recommendations from our colleagues in other offices. This comes up only occasionally, and for many reasons in addition to / instead of impressing someone at a networking event.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.