1L SA Tactics

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 325887
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

1L SA Tactics

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:31 pm

I am in the fortunate position of having a 1L SA offer. However, there are a couple of firms I have interviewed with that potentially interest me more (different city).

Is there any rule stipulating that if I tell a firm I have to respond to another offer by X date, it is expected that I would take their offer if they were interested? In other words, given the holiday slowdown, exploding offer, and likely complication of approving someone pre grades, would it be fair to deliver the message to two firms?

Sorry if I missed this in the NALP guidelines.

PorscheFanatic

Bronze
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:19 pm

Re: 1L SA Tactics

Postby PorscheFanatic » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:36 pm

Your question is unclear. Are you asking if you can reach out to firms you've interviewed with and say "hey, I'm still really interested in your firm, but I have another offer that I have to give an answer to within the next 2 weeks, do you think you'll have a decision by then?" and then if all the firms you interviewed with say yes and give you an offer, can you still decline their offers?

If that's the question, then yes. You can decline any offer that you receive, and yes, you can and should be politely forthright with firms you're interested in about your timeline on your current offer in hand, and hopefully they'll be able to give you a decision before the other offer expires.

dabigchina

Silver
Posts: 1424
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: 1L SA Tactics

Postby dabigchina » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am in the fortunate position of having a 1L SA offer. However, there are a couple of firms I have interviewed with that potentially interest me more (different city).

Is there any rule stipulating that if I tell a firm I have to respond to another offer by X date, it is expected that I would take their offer if they were interested? In other words, given the holiday slowdown, exploding offer, and likely complication of approving someone pre grades, would it be fair to deliver the message to two firms?

Sorry if I missed this in the NALP guidelines.

I'm having issues parsing your question. That being said, it is fair game to tell 2 firms that you have an expiring offer and you would like to hear from them to weigh your options. Don't misrepresent your interest and say you would accept their offer for sure. While it's probably not a NALP violation, it's douchey and unnecessary.

User avatar
BeeTeeZ

Bronze
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:26 am

Re: 1L SA Tactics

Postby BeeTeeZ » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am in the fortunate position of having a 1L SA offer. However, there are a couple of firms I have interviewed with that potentially interest me more (different city).

Is there any rule stipulating that if I tell a firm I have to respond to another offer by X date, it is expected that I would take their offer if they were interested? In other words, given the holiday slowdown, exploding offer, and likely complication of approving someone pre grades, would it be fair to deliver the message to two firms?

Sorry if I missed this in the NALP guidelines.


No, there is no such rule, and yes, it would be fair.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.