Federal Agencies that give offers via Summer Pathways or Honors Programs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lightofurlife

New

Federal Agencies that give offers via Summer Pathways or Honors Programs

Postby lightofurlife » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:39 pm

Now that the market is a little different then it was in the past, what agencies have been giving offers to their summers recently?

I'm interested in Big Fed but I don't want to screw myself, it's hard to find information on what agencies give out offers to their 2L summers though.

So far I know PBGC offered about half, the SEC offered a few but I was told that it isn't the usual, GAO offered some.

What about FTC? FERC? FDIC? EPA? Federal Reserve? CFTC?

Also, if the information is available, which agencies pay the most for entry level attorneys straight out of law school. I know that independent agencies like the SEC have special pay-scales but I'm sure that's not the norm across the board.

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: Federal Agencies that give offers via Summer Pathways or Honors Programs

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:46 pm

I don’t think it’s very common now at all. The only one I know of is IRS. And maybe a few funnel offers out of SLIP, but even those seem few and far between (though maybe in part because a lot of people who want big fed want to clerk and the feds don’t hold offers open).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:57 pm

lightofurlife wrote:Now that the market is a little different then it was in the past, what agencies have been giving offers to their summers recently?

I'm interested in Big Fed but I don't want to screw myself, it's hard to find information on what agencies give out offers to their 2L summers though.

So far I know PBGC offered about half, the SEC offered a few but I was told that it isn't the usual, GAO offered some.

What about FTC? FERC? FDIC? EPA? Federal Reserve? CFTC?

Also, if the information is available, which agencies pay the most for entry level attorneys straight out of law school. I know that independent agencies like the SEC have special pay-scales but I'm sure that's not the norm across the board.

Thanks in advance!

Excellent question. I think it's ad hoc for most agencies.

I know a couple people who got hired into IRS through internships. One other who got SEC but that was a few years ago.

As for highest pay, I think OCC, SEC, and CFPB are among the highest.

lightofurlife

New

Postby lightofurlife » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:58 pm

Given the current state of hiring, do you all think its even worth taking a Pathways position 2L year? Even if it's paid?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:09 pm

lightofurlife wrote:Given the current state of hiring, do you all think its even worth taking a Pathways position 2L year? Even if it's paid?

Current Honors Attorney. I think my fed gov't summer internship was one of the primary reasons I was selected. So yes, having done a Pathways gig or Student Honors program goes a long way and can be leveraged for any federal agency.

Even if you're not set on government post-grad, I think interning with a federal agency is probably the next best thing to a biglaw SA gig.

playwright

New

Postby playwright » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:29 am

FTC usually gives offers to 2L interns.

lapolicia

Bronze

Postby lapolicia » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:57 am

I've been on the hiring and intern committees of the agencies where I've worked so I have a pretty good sense of how agencies operate when it comes to entry level hiring. The FTC's Bureau of Competition usually gives offers to 2L paid summer interns assuming a good budget situation. Bureau of Consumer protection does too but more rarely. PBGC usually gives offers to the paid 2L interns ranging from all of them to only 1 depending on budget and performance of the interns. The SEC doesn't normally give offers but in rare cases where the intern's performance is exceptional and there is a good budget situation they may.

Starting salary at most federal agencies is GS-11, Step 1 (around 67k in DC). At some it's a bit higher, like the FTC where it is GS-12, Step 5 I believe (around 90k), and at the financial regulatory agencies like the SEC that are not on the GS scale it's usually above 100k. I wouldn't focus too much on the starting salary since you will go up the grades very quickly until you're a 14 (or 15 at some agencies).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:54 am

playwright wrote:FTC usually gives offers to 2L interns.

FTC Bureau of Competition almost exclusively hires out of the 2L Summer Honors Program. I would say roughly 80% get an offer, and they seem to only hire outside that group if someone turns down an offer. The division where you intern generally will tell you whether they plan to "recommend" you for a post-graduate offer at the end of the summer, which starts a paperwork process that can take several weeks/months. The division's recommendation typically results in an offer. It's a good set-up for law students that functions like Big Law as I understand that process. That said, I heard rumors that they may change the program soon. FWIW, laterals who don't start at the agency typically have 3-4 years experience in Big Law.

The Bureau of Consumer Protection is pretty cut-throat from what I've heard. They hire out of the 2L Summer Honors Program, but they only offer one or two of the 9 or 10 interns. They also don't make offers until several months after the internship ends.

Entry level (or "Law Clerk") is GS-11. You become eligible for GS-12 after 6 months if you pass the bar.

Return to “Legal Employment?