DHS/ICE Attorney

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 324994
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

DHS/ICE Attorney

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:20 pm

Interviewed for an Assistant Chief Counsel position with DHS/ICE a couple weeks ago. Still waiting on results. Anyone familiar with the hiring process, or the everyday life of an ICE attorney?

Anonymous User
Posts: 324994
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DHS/ICE Attorney

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:23 am

I spent a summer working for the Office of Chief Counsel under OPLA. The attorneys spent roughly half their time in immigration court, and the other half of their time preparing cases. Lifestyle seemed pretty good though, usually rolled into the office around 9 and were out by 5. If it was a court day bump arrival up to 8:00. Everyone generally seemed very happy with what they were doing, and there was a surprising amount of diversity.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324994
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DHS/ICE Attorney

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:47 am

A friend applied in December, interviewed in January, received a COE in March, received a final offer in June or July, and started in August.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324994
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DHS/ICE Attorney

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I spent a summer working for the Office of Chief Counsel under OPLA. The attorneys spent roughly half their time in immigration court, and the other half of their time preparing cases. Lifestyle seemed pretty good though, usually rolled into the office around 9 and were out by 5. If it was a court day bump arrival up to 8:00. Everyone generally seemed very happy with what they were doing, and there was a surprising amount of diversity.


OP here. That's good to know. In terms of case preparation, what does that include? Would I be researching and writing at all?

Anonymous User
Posts: 324994
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DHS/ICE Attorney

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A friend applied in December, interviewed in January, received a COE in March, received a final offer in June or July, and started in August.


OP here. May I ask which office this is? Or which state this office is in?

Anonymous User
Posts: 324994
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DHS/ICE Attorney

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A friend applied in December, interviewed in January, received a COE in March, received a final offer in June or July, and started in August.


OP here. May I ask which office this is? Or which state this office is in?


TX/AZ/NM area

Anonymous User
Posts: 324994
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DHS/ICE Attorney

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I spent a summer working for the Office of Chief Counsel under OPLA. The attorneys spent roughly half their time in immigration court, and the other half of their time preparing cases. Lifestyle seemed pretty good though, usually rolled into the office around 9 and were out by 5. If it was a court day bump arrival up to 8:00. Everyone generally seemed very happy with what they were doing, and there was a surprising amount of diversity.


OP here. That's good to know. In terms of case preparation, what does that include? Would I be researching and writing at all?


Honestly, probably 70% of cases I saw during my time at ICE were Pro Se and fairly routine removals. Occasionally judges asked for briefs, but this was rare is my experience.

Prep for cases seemed to consist of making/responding to motions and preparing questions, and making sure you have a few relevant BIA opinions in your back pocket.



Return to ‚ÄúLegal Employment‚Ä?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.