1L SA Thread - C/O 2020

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L SA Thread - C/O 2020

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Simpson is dinging everyone.

Also, Latham invite, straight to CB, and Gibson invite, straight to CB.

What market is this in?

NYC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:00 pm

Any NY firms that should be releasing screeners/call backs soon? Feel like its so slow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any NY firms that should be releasing screeners/call backs soon? Feel like its so slow.

I need Paul Weiss to get it together

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any NY firms that should be releasing screeners/call backs soon? Feel like its so slow.

I need Paul Weiss to get it together

Was told next week for PW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:50 pm

Where's everyone at on looking for other job opps in case this doesn't work out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:09 pm

I'm at a T6, I have interviewed with multiple firms including one I have connections with, all was going well (no dings), and a few recently asked for grades. I now have grades, and they weren't good --at all. It isn't a reflection of my work ethic. I had a death in the family (close family member) in late November and it was crushing. I could barely function during exams. I am doing much better now, thankfully.

What do I do about these firms? I need to respond to these particular firms soon. Just submit and hope for best? Withdraw in order to not give them a bad impression? Include letter explaining grades, with documentation?

In the event that I do not get the offers, which I imagine is a real possibility if not a certainty, what non-law-firm gigs should I be looking for if I want to be paid decently this summer? I'm not totally interested in PI, and that ship seems to have sailed anyway. At this point, won't this crappy-first-semester-grades problem make it difficult for me to get a 1L job *anywhere*?

(I know I have an uphill battle to get a top firm out of OCI (if that's even possible), but that's a separate discussion.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at a T6, I have interviewed with multiple firms including one I have connections with, all was going well (no dings), and a few recently asked for grades. I now have grades, and they weren't good --at all. It isn't a reflection of my work ethic. I had a death in the family (close family member) in late November and it was crushing. I could barely function during exams. I am doing much better now, thankfully.

What do I do about these firms? I need to respond to these particular firms soon. Just submit and hope for best? Withdraw in order to not give them a bad impression? Include letter explaining grades, with documentation?

In the event that I do not get the offers, which I imagine is a real possibility if not a certainty, what non-law-firm gigs should I be looking for if I want to be paid decently this summer? I'm not totally interested in PI, and that ship seems to have sailed anyway. At this point, won't this crappy-first-semester-grades problem make it difficult for me to get a 1L job *anywhere*?

(I know I have an uphill battle to get a top firm out of OCI (if that's even possible), but that's a separate discussion.)

I see no benefit to withdrawing from firms before they say no, and jobs for the summer most definitely are not all filled or even nearly filled. In fact, plenty of places probably haven't even listed jobs yet. Don't expect to get paid decently anywhere though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:08 pm

Is anyone else here still waiting on STB NY?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:callback with JD LA

Do you mind if I ask when you applied? School ranking? Haven't heard back from them and getting worried.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at a T6, I have interviewed with multiple firms including one I have connections with, all was going well (no dings), and a few recently asked for grades. I now have grades, and they weren't good --at all. It isn't a reflection of my work ethic. I had a death in the family (close family member) in late November and it was crushing. I could barely function during exams. I am doing much better now, thankfully.

Uh... you might have an uphill battle to get any firm out of OCI if you don't get on that PI job hunt right now. No one likes working for free, but unless you're an URM at Yale, it is likely that you will for 1L summer. Firms could still happen, but unless you are URM or have incredible work history, you're done at this point. Your grades aren't good, but fortunately, you're at a T6. A PI job will still probably allow you to land big law at OCI. If you procrastinate until you have no job, you might strike out all together.

If you're at CLS/NYU, you need to go to the PILC job fair. Even if you haven't applied for interviews, go do table talk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else here still waiting on STB NY?

Still waiting. Seems like they've dinged a bunch of people. Has anyone gotten an offer yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:57 pm

Cravath on Friday, straight to CB

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Uh... you might have an uphill battle to get any firm out of OCI if you don't get on that PI job hunt right now. No one likes working for free, but unless you're an URM at Yale, it is likely that you will for 1L summer. Firms could still happen, but unless you are URM or have incredible work history, you're done at this point. Your grades aren't good, but fortunately, you're at a T6. A PI job will still probably allow you to land big law at OCI. If you procrastinate until you have no job, you might strike out all together.

If you're at CLS/NYU, you need to go to the PILC job fair. Even if you haven't applied for interviews, go do table talk.

Also if you're at NYU -- start bidding on OCI interviews. Doesn't matter what firm. 1L SAs are notoriously selective; while some may be sympathetic towards your situation, they have no obligation to take it into consideration when stacking you against other applicants for their 1-2 open slots.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:callback with JD LA

Do you mind if I ask when you applied? School ranking? Haven't heard back from them and getting worried.

Sorry, don't want to out myself

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Still waiting. Seems like they've dinged a bunch of people. Has anyone gotten an offer yet?

OP here. Did you CB already?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:33 am

Has anyone heard back from Morgan Lewis NYC? Had a screener a couple of weeks ago, got invited to their diversity conference, and then got a very vague email about how they can’t move to CB until they screen everyone... but it’s been radio silence since.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:57 pm

I've gotten a couple of dings, mostly the "not hiring 1Ls" message. Am I supposed to be responding to those saying thanks for the consideration, or can I just let it go?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also interested to find out if you had a callback, second anon. No CB here yet no ding, either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've gotten a couple of dings, mostly the "not hiring 1Ls" message. Am I supposed to be responding to those saying thanks for the consideration, or can I just let it go?

I don't see anything wrong with either approach, though others might rightfully disagree. If you were dinged by a firm you're really interested in & hope to meet with or encounter again during OCI, I see nothing wrong with letting them know that. I also don't think they give a shit, frankly.

(I re-read this and don't know that I'm capable of providing a less helpful answer!)

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've gotten a couple of dings, mostly the "not hiring 1Ls" message. Am I supposed to be responding to those saying thanks for the consideration, or can I just let it go?

Just let it go and move on. It was likely a form email, and it won’t positively affect your chances at that firm in the future if you respond to their rejection email.

AlexFergusonLS

New

Postby AlexFergusonLS » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:36 pm

I just submitted a few apps to NY firms that I didn't realize had 1L opportunities. Is this too late? Does anyone know the general timeline of when firms are really going through applications, issuing callbacks, etc?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:44 pm

AlexFergusonLS wrote:I just submitted a few apps to NY firms that I didn't realize had 1L opportunities. Is this too late? Does anyone know the general timeline of when firms are really going through applications, issuing callbacks, etc?

Thanks!

I know someone who applied this week and already got a callback, so it's not too late everywhere if you have the GPA, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also interested to find out if you had a callback, second anon. No CB here yet no ding, either.

Second anon here. I had a CB already.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not sure how many offers they give out per office, but two people have already accepted offers for STB NY

Episcopalian

New

Postby Episcopalian » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:36 pm

to second anon above - as someone with no cb, very curious re your STB experience so.. here's my username, - feel free to PM :D

Return to “Legal Employment?